1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the dumbest question you've ever asked?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DeskMonkey1, Mar 13, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Seattle punter Jon Ryan was asked about his secret crush and he answered it and then tweeted his answer and it was a comedian, who was a regular on Chelsea Lately. She reached back to him on Twitter and they've been dating for a couple years.

2. Potsie Weber

Potsie Weber New Member

During a game against the Bengals, former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Robert Brooks was tattooed while going across the middle and may have been knocked out for a spell. After the game, the gathered reporters were asking him about the violent play. I can't remember the wording exactly, but I pointed out to him that he almost caught the ball. He stared at me, tilted his head and said, "You guys say the stupidest things sometimes." I felt like crawling into a hole.

3. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

I've definitely asked more than my fair share of dumb questions. One that sticks out was my first U.S. Men's National Team presser during the Bob Bradley era, where I started off my question about what made the him change his tactical approach for a particular friendly then gradually lost my train of the thought before ending it saying, "...because, you know, I know you've done things differently, and I wasn't sure if you're worried about losing consistency." Yeah.

One thing I do hate, though, is that the most prominent writer on my beat condescendingly shakes his head and smirks whenever someone asks a question he feels is dumb. Mind you, this is a guy who never really asks questions, but rather, tries to engage his subject in a 7-8 "question" conversation by saying "I imagine you're trying to do this..." or "When that happens, you're probably looking to this..." I do enjoy disrupting those convos by interjecting with an actual question about something the player or coach mentions, and asking a follow up for good measure.

Draft saved Draft deleted