1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the dumbest question you've ever asked?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DeskMonkey1, Mar 13, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

... were they?

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

That would either make her real ugly or him really pretty..right?

Bradley Guire likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Perhaps not the dumbest question I ever asked, but surely the loudest. At the '87 PGA I was there gathering preview material for my town's upcoming event. While waiting for the tournament to conclude, I availed myself of a complimentary Michelob Light. Then, when it went to a playoff, I had another. By this time, a few heavy hitters had sat down at my table, so I was a bit nervous. So when it took them awhile to get the playoff started, I had another. Then when the playoff went however many holes, I had another. Suffice it to say I was fairly toasty during the winner's press conference.

I waited until the very end to ask my question. I had sobered up a good bit, but apparently not enough. You know how when you've had a bit too much to drink, you get kinda loud? I swear, they were flinching on the front row when I boomed my question out.

PTOWN likes this.
  4. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

That's interesting and at least a little abstract if nothing else. As long as its not after a game.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Maggie and Jake?

BrendaStarr likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Worked as the sidebar guy for a Champions Tour event in Tampa and Tom Kite lost when he rinsed a shot on one of the closing holes. It was only 200 yards to the green and the main golf writer for the paper asked me to ask Kite if he thought about laying up. I knew that was a bad question and told him so, but he just thought it had to be asked. So I took a deep breath and asked Kite, who stared at me for the longest two seconds before saying no. And only no.

I'm sure I've asked dumber questions but that was one where I knew the answer 10 minutes before asking.

reformedhack likes this.
  7. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I called Bob Melvin coach once when he was the skipper for the Mariners. "Well, first of all I'm not a coach, I'm a manager" was his response. Every writer peeled out of the room right after that. Then some PR bimbo tried raking me over the coals and I just left her standing there without saying a word. Happened to be in AZ a few years after that when he was with the D-Backs, and after the big guns left the dug out during Spring Training, I recalled the story to him. He didn't know me from Adam, but chuckled about it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When I was covering the Anaheim Ducks and Randy Carlyle was coach, he never revealed his goalie plans, so we were always amused when a newbie or out-of-town writer would ask him then get stared down for 10 seconds.

Not a dumb question, just one the regulars knew would never get answered.

9. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Nah, he was coming into town for one of the offseason/summer caravans through (Insert small town along the interstate in Georgia). It was this past summer, and my editor passively criticized me for not asking about the defense. But we rely on AP for Georgia coverage and don't actually "cover" them unless in town, so I went the vanilla feature route asking about the positives of meeting and talking to fans throughout the state. The wing sauce thing was just for my own shits and giggles. I didn't use it in a story.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

In 2003, long before his election to Cooperstown, I sidled up to Jim Rice and asked him how he liked his chances of getting elected. I was asked to go have sex with myself, forgetting in my stupidity that Jim Ed is a prick.

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

When I was in high school, the Braves had a "media day" for high school newspaper students around the metro area before a late-spring exhibition game at The Ted. They brought us down to the press conference room (the auxiliary clubhouse) and trotted out a handful of players -- mostly role players, but a few notables like Andruw Jones, Walt Weiss and Gerald Williams.

Remember, Walt Weiss was the one whose son nearly died after contracting e.coli at White Water, the waterpark around these parts. Thinking I was some hot shot putz, and forgetting I was just some high school punk, asked him "Do you hold a grudge with White Water over what happened with your son?"

That came after my hard-hitting question to Gerald Williams: "What was it like to appear on Saturday Night Live?" (that skit with Helen Hunt, Chris Kattan and all the fringe major leaguers from the mid-90s)

I wish I could've just snuck away after that one.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I don't know the exact wording, but I lost my train of thought asking Ryan Newman a question and rambled. He tilted his head sideways and asked me, "You want to try that again?"

Draft saved Draft deleted