1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the deal with the synchronized diving men and the shower?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 12, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Man, NBC couldn't show them enough.... these guys love the shower. And their squeegee towel.

Whats the deal with all the showering? Anybody know?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The color commentator said they go in there to "wash off and have fun."

3. poindexter

Hooo-weee!

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

She said that like a gazillion times. It was bizarre.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Can anyone provide a real answer?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, somebody on the Olympic thread mentioned the chlorine content (it dries the skin out.) Or maybe it has something to do with the filtered rainwater the Water Cube uses.

Not sure what the real explanation is -- all I know is that commentator freaked me out with how many times she mentioned the word "fun" in relation to the divers. Weird.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm wondering if it has something to do with helping the muscles recover quickly - don't they have to get back up there again fairly fast in diving?
    I have no clue if that is correct but it jumps to mind.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think one of the commentators said something about the water in the pool being fairly cool and the showers warm the divers up.

9. poindexter

Swimmers are in that same pool, and they don't seem to be showering like these guys do (or at least NBC doesn't show it).

I am not kidding, in past olympics, I seem to remember the divers congregating around a hot tub-type area as well.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Swimmers are off the deck and back into the locker room, or into the warm-down pool, as soon as their event's over. Divers are out on the deck for their entire competition - which can last a while - and would get quite a chill just sitting there. So the showers are there to help keep them warm - and to rinse the chlorine off.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The commentators said it helps them warm up after diving. Not sure why we watch -- I'm guessing it's cause they didn't have anything else to show -- but I didn't really mind.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What, is NBC trying to get me to lift my personal boycott of the Olympics? Show me more of Michael Phelps.

Draft saved Draft deleted