1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Deal with Saturday Night Live?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 18, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They don't have to move "en masse." It's usually a few stars that emerge at a time.

Some real dogs? It's always been that way, unless you think Garrett Morris and Laraine Newman kicked ass.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about this when watching the last episode. Honestly, I like just about all of their actors, especially Amy Poehler, Bill Hader and Keenan Thompson. Pretty much everyone CAN be funny. I think it comes down to the fact that the writing has slid so far downhill. That is how you result in skits with a bunch of funny names.

In the interest of full disclosure, I laughed pretty hard at Harry Wombus.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I was the biggest SNL fan going for a while (say since the beginning to the mid-90s).

But I'll say this again: They got away from doing what they did well; that is being critical of politics and pop culture.

Seriously, with Dubya and Dick in office — and all their daughters! — how can you NOT have a lengthy, funny skit about this administration EVERY SINGLE WEEK?

I remember reading a GQ in which Will Ferrell was interviewed. He said had he still been on the show, he would have demanded that every Dubya skit be done with him dressed as Dubya wearing that stupid fucking pilot wardrobe he donned during the historic "Mission Accomplished" photo op. That's the type of stuff the show was built on. Chevy Chase doing his stumbling, bumbling impression of I forget which president.

It's what makes Weekend Update the funniest part of the show; because it's pop culture and newsie. Shit you and I make fun of in our living rooms during the week.

Now, all these actors and actresses and writers think their shitty skit/character is the funniest.

Well, they're wrong. They're not.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I remember watching Keenan when I was little on Nickelodeon. Whatever happened to Kel?

5. Petrie

Petrie Guest

It was Ford...Chase made fun of him a lot in Weekend Update too

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone had some insight to the mechanics of the show. Darrell Hammond is rarely on anymore, Bill Hader is underutilized and it seems like they're allowing cast members to do other things in-season and the writing is just plain uninspired. Is the show a part-time gig for those involved now?
    When "the two a-holes" and "Target lady" are your only reoccurring characters, you know something is wrong.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a bad sign when the person with the best comic timing last night is a presidential candidate...

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Exactly. There are good people on the show, but it still sucks. It started sucking when Tina Fey became the head writer and I blamed her for a long time. Then she starts doing 30 Rock and its brilliant, so I'm not sure it was ever her fault. I wonder if the format is just outdated and limited too much by being on network TV, like somebody else said.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think this season has gotten better than in seasons past. I really like Andy Somberg, as well as the guy who plays McGruber and was in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Kristen Wiig is for the most part really funny, though a couple of characters she does don't do it for me. If this handwringing had been done last year or the year before I would have agreed. But I think it's getting a bit better, at least this year.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I though the NBA Playoffs/Democratic race segment was inspired. And I laughed heartily at the Japanese office.

Overall, though, still crap. And that's been in the last two weeks, when two of my favorite performers Shia LeBouf and Steve Carell hosted. When the headliner is someone for whom I care little? Even deeper dreck.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I blame ...

[​IMG]

Once Mr. Fuck Up Every Sketch Because I'm A Talentless Camera Mugger became the go-to guy on the show as Ferrell was leaving, adios to the funny.

What a cockbag he is.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. BYH

BYH Active Member

that's not the problem, and as much as I'd like to agree with Bubbler and blame it on cockbag Fallon, it's not his fault either.

In all this caterwauling about SNL, what's the one constant? Lorne Michaels. That guy could take the funny out of anything. Even though he produces a bunch of other stuff, my guess is the only thing he's allowed to really touch is SNL. This is his baby, and the only thing he's got that keeps him "relevant." Nobody watches 30 Rock and thinks of Lorne. Nobody watches Conan and thinks of Lorne. But people correlate SNL with Lorne, and I imagine that boosts his already ample ego into the stratosphere.

I picture him micromanaging the shit out of the show and mucking up every decent skit with "suggested rewrites." He sucks. Get rid of Lorne and I bet you the show is good again in a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted