1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Deal with Saturday Night Live?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 18, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Okay, the show has been bashed in the past and this thread is somewhat redundant, but anybody know how the show became so unwatchable, embarrassingly unfunny and awkward to watch. I almost have to turn away from the TV out of respect to the performers, nevermind the fact that it was taped three hours earlier 3,000 miles away.

An entire skit about people with funny names?
    A Deal or No Deal take-off?

I just don't understand where the "joke" is supposed to be in the sketches anymore.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

But it still makes NBC a lot of money.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The rest of the humor world has caught up with it, and within the constraints of network television it can't really raise the bar anymore. Plus, they just don't have the horses in the acting or writing areas.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

In the 1980s, SNL had a couple of very talented people, surrounded by mediocrity and poor management.

But the first time it had real, funny and talented competition, was In Living Color (which is still hilarious in reruns). So, spring 1990 was when it started to bcome very clear that the Emperor had no clothes.

Now, they get one good idea, and they milk it. Celebrity jeopardy, for instance. Those black-and-white rap videos. They can no longer fill 90 minutes with worthwhile stuff.

To be fair, the shorter length likely helped In Living Color and MadTV seem better.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, you raise a good point. Should SNL go down to an hour? Would things get better with a tighter show?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. markvid

markvid Guest

I hate to say it, but I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

You don't know a shark's dorsal fin when you see it?

9. markvid

markvid Guest

ohhhhhhhhhhhh ok, I didn't see the bottom part until you said that.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

SNL always has ups and downs. Every few years, they have a really talented group that remains intact until they all move on to bigger and better.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And the last such group was when?

The late 1970s. That was the last group that had the majority do bigger and better things afterward. The late 1980s and early 1990 group was entertaining, but they never really moved on to better things en masse.

The Will ferrell group had a couple of talented people, but som real dogs.

Draft saved Draft deleted