1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the deal with gmail?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, May 18, 2008.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'm a Yahoo! guy...it's been good to me over the past decade. No need to make the change.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've had the same Yahoo! and Hotmail e-mail for the last 11 years -- along with the same screenname. But I think Gmail is superior in just about every way.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I love gmail so much I want to take it out behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you a teacher? And is gmail a student?

Cause if that's the case, we have someone here who would be interested in chronicling that.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

As someone who had a Yahoo address for many, many years before switching to Gmail, I'll say this: If you believe Yahoo is superior to Gmail, or even equal to Gmail, you haven't used Gmail.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Damn you, t_b_f! Gmail has crashed twice the past two days, yesterday for like 10 minutes. It's been down now, at least for me, for the past 30 minutes.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Resisted going to either gmail or yahoo for many years because of the (mistaken) notion that free email accounts denoted whackjobs, crazies and very cheap folks. Have now been on gmail for about two years. Can't imagine what I'd do without. Also, FWIW, gmail seems to work better on my iPhone. Tried yahoo for a while, but it kept having all sorts of hiccups on the phone.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Maybe all my traffic crashed it. I'm sort-of a big deal.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So do I detect a trend away from AOL? ???

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I would totally have sex with gmail.

I was an early adopter and have a pretty sweet gmail address related to my job. To me it's the search function that makes all the difference. Hey, I think one time six years ago someone sent me Jim Bouton's email address for a story I was doing -- and now I can find it without digging through notebooks. You can't put a price on that.

I use the "drafts' folder to store all kinds of stuff. My main address/contacts book is there, notes to myself, drafts of emails, chat logs, copies of stories ... yet I'm still using 9 percent of my allotted space despite having been on since it started. I never use my spam-filled work email if I can help it.

It's amazing how much I depend on Google stuff. Maps, documents, calendar -- every application, they do it 10 times better than anyone else. And yet I've never directly paid them a dime. I'm not real sure how that business model works, but I don't really care.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

My techno-dork cousin told me that Google is one of only a few websites that has a server dedicated for use by dial-up connections. I don't know if this is true or not. But I do know that when I try to access most websites when visiting my folks [who still have dial-up because, according to them, DSL is not available in their area...which I find hard to believe since they live about 30 miles north of Dallas] it takes forever. Like "enter the address, go watch Gone With the Wind, and check back when the flick is over and the page might have loaded" forever. Google always pops up within a minute.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Entirely possible. If they don't live within 18,000 feet of phone trunk (as opposed to "as the crow flies") from their local central switching office, then they cannot get DSL.

Draft saved Draft deleted