1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the deal with gmail?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, May 18, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I love the way the folders function on Gmail as well. Some other e-mail programs have a general inbox, and then you can add folders and you have certain e-mail that automatically goes to that folder.

You can do that with Gmail as well. But with most programs, you have to call up that folder to see them. With Gmail, you can see all folders at the same time or you can decide to only see e-mail that's in one folder.

One of the things I like about going to Gmail is that I'll never have to change my e-mail address again. I've changed my e-mail address dozens of times since I first got a personal e-mail address because I HAD to change everytime I changed ISPs. Now, I can just stick with Gmail regardless of my ISP. I've had a Yahoo! address for years, but rarely use it because I've never liked the e-mail program.

I also like being able to access my e-mail wherever I have Internet access.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I actually just use Yahoo! to collect the junk. When I need an e-mail to sign up for something or some place, I throw down the Yahoo! address and let it get bombarded.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ding ding ding.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll add to the chorus.

I've moved to gmail, and it's fantastic.

Chat is handy, archiving is awesome.

And I keep the yahoo account for spam. I have never gotten a spam message to my gmail account.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'll add to the lovefest here. Gmail is awesome, for the reasons already stated.

Just a quick question: do you still need an invite to sign up for it? Or did it go public and anyone can sign up now?

If it still is invite only, I'm sure someone here has plenty of invites available to give TBF one.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When I go to gmail.com, it says "Need an account?" and you can just start there.

if not, I can send an invite. PM me your e-mail addy if you want one.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Anybody can sign up now at http://www.gmail.com. Too bad, too. I have 32,736,876,987,632,477,687,320,786 invitations left. :D

8. accguy

accguy Member

Ditto what everybody else said.

Not mentioned, however, is the search feature. It works very well. As does the way it saves drafts of emails as you're writing them.

Gmail is some really good free stuff.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've used that search feature a number of times. It's made my life much, much easier.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope when Yahoo gets bought by Microsoft, it spends some money advertising the fact that its email is JUST AS GOOD AS GMAIL'S.

I'm all Yahoo, all the time. I've had my main address for nearly 10 years and I have opened up a couple other acc'ts for various reasons (including SJ). Ninety-eight pct of the spam I get goes to a spam folder and I wipe it out. Takes about three seconds. And that search function Gmail has? Yahoo has it too, and it's incredibly easy to operate as well.

Aside from chatting in email--and I have AOL IM so I have no need for another chat service--I don't get the whole gmail craze.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We're now gmailers.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm a Yahooer too and always will be. Spam's not a problem at all. Get a couple a day and they go to the spam folder. And the search thing for their email is very easy to use. It's got unlimited space now so no reason to worry about that. Plus, I'm a little sick of Google taking over the world and knowing everything about everyone and having maps to our bedrooms so I'll stick with Yahoo until the Google overlords force everyone in the nation to switch.

Draft saved Draft deleted