1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the deal with gmail?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, May 18, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I got more than 50 spam e-mails in my Yahoo! account. Not to mention that about five of my closest Nigerian/Indian/British friends wanted to give me a million bucks. ::)

I keep hearing folks talk about gmail and how good it is at blocking spam, etc. We've had our Yahoo! account for years, and everything we've done online is tied to that account so it wouldn't be an easy swap. But, if it'll keep me from having all that freaking spam, I'm willing try anything.

Is it worth the hassle?

If you have any, give me some pros and cons.

Thanks,

tbf

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Gmail is the greatest e-mail ever.

A.) The spam filter is great. I get spam, but it's in a separate folder and it's super easy to delete.

B.) It archives all your e-mails, and stacks your conversations. Let's say I send an e-mail to BYH, Flash and sportschick about a birthday party I'm having. Any of their replies, any of my replies, all are contained in that ONE conversation. It will say "Me, Flash, sportschick, BYH (15)" or however many messages there are. You click on that line, and there's every correspondence from there windowshaded together. Soooo easy to keep track of information.

3.) Gmail chat is awesome.

3. three_bags_full

Thanks. Sounds pretty good.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

As an added bonus, using Gmail will start you down the path of using Google calendar (slightly inferior to Yahoo for my own purposes but still very good) and Google Documents, the free alternative to Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.

I love how Google Document allows me to set user permissions on individual files so that I can give friends access to them online. They can edit Word and Excel files in their original location so that I don't have to e-mail the files to them. This come in handy when four or five of us are working on a project since we never have to worry about whether we're working on the most current version -- the most current version is always sitting on the server.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

IJAG is right. I love my Gmail account. (and Google Reader)

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If Gmail were a person, I'd have a crush on it. I starting using it after college; it's my "professional" account for resumes and important things. Then it became my full-time account. I've got many conversations that contain 100-plus messages. It really is the best e-mail system out there. It has a spam filter on it, and you can report undetected spam so you won't ever get it in your regular inbox again.

It might take you a little while to get used to it, but what program doesn't? Once you do get used to it, three_bags, you won't go back.

And for comparison, I use Yahoo!, too, and about 95 percent of my inbox is spam every day. I haven't gotten spam in my Gmail inbox in at least a month -- maybe more.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

To be fair, Google Docs is the free online answer to MS Office, but you're screwed if there's a problem accessing the Internet, if you don't feel like paying for WiFi at a public access location (or when Google is hiccuping). The free alternative is [ur=http://download.openoffice.orgl]OpenOffice[/url], and you don't lose access to OpenOffice when you don't have Internet access.

Google's stuff is good for sharing documents (and it shares formats with OpenOffice and MS Office), but I would never use a Web-based service as a primary application.

Back to topic, Gmail is excellent. Vastly superior spam catching (Mr. Bags, I find it difficult to believe that Yahoo only started slipping on its spam-catching now) and free POP3/IMAP access for offline mail clients.

8. three_bags_full

Sounds like it's the way to go. I guess I'll start sending out the I've-changed-email addresses message.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I still have a huge man crush on gmail. I love how it saves all your e-mail addresses for you, I love how it shows the emails in a conversational style so that when you are emailing with a group it conenses them on one page.

I love it when it saves something in the trash that I already deleted twice, because it knows its important.

Gmail is good to me.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I went through 60 applications for an intern spot last year - 58 of them used g-mail. It is the IN thing among the nation's youth, that's for sure. I have a g-mail account that I use some and I have no complaints. I don't see anything that makes it any better than several other programs but it is certainly fine.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

It's OK.

My only complaint is it seems to boot me unnecessarily any number of times during chat sessions.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I used to have yahoo, but I've almost entirely made the switch. The only thing keeping me from deleting it is fantasy sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted