1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the deal in Dallas?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Apr 21, 2007.

1. carrie

carrie Active Member

My shop went around collecting Katies trophies to send back to the DPC.

So no, we won't be listing any of them on our collective resumes.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

What's funny is that she (allegedly) gave herself awards for things like "Best Investigative Reporting" in the category of major market newspapers, which meant her work for The Bond Buyer beat out any invstigative pieces by, say, the Dallas Morning News, Startlegram, Austin American-Statesman, Houston Chronicle and any of the other big papers in the five-state area.

3. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Paging the Virginia Press Association ...

4. I read that the Star-Telegram was returning its 2006 Katie awards. Other returns are sure to follow. The investigation may go back earlier and cover 2004 and 2005, too.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

DMN won't ask its reporters to return Katies. Here's the meno, y'all:

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

UPDATE: Dallas Press Club sues former president
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/050207dnmetpressclubsuit.28c4b0d5.html

The Press Club of Dallas is suing its former president for allegedly faking the judging of the Katie Awards, one of the region’s top prizes for journalists.

The suit, filed Monday in Dallas County District Court, also claims that Elizabeth Albanese was involved in “dishonest and fraudulent” activity with the club’s finances during her 19 months as president.
    The lawsuit - which follows months of internal inquiries and almost deafening buzz in media circles - claims that there was no independent judging in at least some of the years and award categories since 2003.

The suit does not spell out the specifics of the financial claims against Ms. Albanese, but an earlier club inquiry found she had put a number of personal expenses on a club credit card, including shopping at Saks Fifth Avenue and a stay at the W Hotel in New York, club officials said. They have said Ms. Albanese repaid those costs.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It's worse than we thought, kids:

[asshole]Whew. Looks like 2001, 2002 are safe.[/asshole]

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, for people that think awards are crap, this definitely gives them some ammunition.

I saw where the Star-Telegram was giving awards back and DMN won't ask their winners to. BUt if you won one, would you give it back? Would you really feel you won it? I'm not sure I would.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Sorry about the previous D_B, Webby can feel free to remove.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I know a guy who won a couple, and he gave them away. One is now the trophy for the winner of a fantasy football league.
    The other is sitting in my living room and I have yet to decide what to do with it.
    I'll say this, it at least feels like a real award. Sumbitch is heavy.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Long take-out on the situation by the alt-weekly:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2007-06-14/news/kiss-me-katie/full

The older Katie statues used to be a lot more anatomically correct than the newer ones, fwiw.

12. she shoulda given herself a couple firsts and then maybe a third or honorable mention

kind of make it look more authentic

Draft saved Draft deleted