1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the criteria for an NFL HC to be in the HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Oct 15, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Stramm, Madden, Ewbank are in and won 1 Super Bowl. Seifert and Flores are not and they won 2.

Vermeil won 1, is barely above .500 as a coach but he seems like he should be in? Given the talent he had did he overachieve?

Dungy had remarkable talent and only won once, and only got there once. He's a mortal lock with a losing playoff record. Did he under achieve?

Shanahan won 2, has a winning playoff record and could surpass Parcells in career wins. Is he a lock for the HOF?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Media darling
    Losing record in the postseason

Or at least that will be the criteria for this year when Dungy gets in on the first ballot.

3. Mizzougrad96

I would probably prefer it if Belichick was the only coach of the last decade or so to get in.

Coughlin is certainly deserving, but it wouldn't be a travesty if he didn't get in.

Dungy will probably get in this year, which will open the floodgates for a lot of borderline coaches to get in. You can make a case for Dungy, but you can also make a case for about 7-10 other guys who you could argue have resumes similar or better than Dungy.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

I have yet to figure out why so many people seem so convinced Dungy is getting in. Maybe they know the voters and have taken a poll, but his case doesn't seem compelling enough to make him a lock.

Vermeil has a role in NFL history as the first special teams coach (and a darn good one), but I'm not sure that combined with his HC record should get him in.

I can see Shanahan getting in, especially if he ever gets anything accomplished with the Redskins (that doesn't look good right now, though).

Coughlin certainly has a case.

If Andy Reid can get KC to the promised land this year, I might go ahead and let him in now.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Football didn't start with the Super Bowl.

Ewbank won three titles total.
    Stramm is the winnigest coach in the history of the AFL (games and titles).

Without looking since I haven't had time, I would bet that if you win at least 150 games and have at least to championships, you are in or will be.

6. Mizzougrad96

Belichick is a lock.

All of the following coaches will merit HOF consideration:

Jimmy Johnson
    Mike Shanahan
    Tom Coughlin
    Bill Cowher
    Marty Schottenheimer
    Mike Holmgren
    Andy Reid
    Dick Vermeil
    Tony Dungy

I don't know how you draw the line with that group. If you want to say Shanahan and Coughlin should be in because they won twice, and you leave the others out, that's one way to do it.

Holmgren and Vermeil went to Super Bowls with two different franchises. In my mind, that puts them in front of Dungy, but I know Dungy has a much easier path to Canton than they do though.

Schottenheimer has a HOF resume in the regular season. He turned franchises around. Then he would shit the bed in the postseason and piss off everyone in the organization and get himself run out of town.

It will be interesting if it is ever possible for another coach to get in without winning a Super Bowl.

7. Della9250

I think if Dungy gets in on the first try, it's because the voters want to do a tandem thing with Harrison.

I don't have any doubt he will make the cut to 25. He'll probably get into the top 15. But I think there are players who have already waited, multiple times in a lot of cases, that should get the nod over Dungy as a first-time guy.

He'll get in at some point, but I don't see the voters doing it ASAP

8. Mizzougrad96

I think if he gets in on the first ballot it will be because the voters don't want to answer questions about why a beloved African-American coach didn't get in. I don't think anyone cares about putting him in the same year as Harrison.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

I was just responding to the ones you mentioned and then Reid came to mind because I'm enamored with the Chiefs right now.

Belichick is an obvious choice. No one else is.

Johnson had an incredible run, but it was awfully short. Cowher and Holmgren both have a pretty good case.

But as noted at the top of the thread, it's hard to know who really has a chance because the criteria for coaches is not clear at all.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The reason I vote no on Johnson is because he didn't have the longevity, and it's not because he didn't have the chance to coach again. He chose to hang it up.

11. Della9250

It's possible, but they don't answer questions every year about Ray Gay, the receiver logjam, this guy over that guy, etc. So putting Dungy off for a year or two isn't going to be an issue.

There are only going to be three spots available, if you assume Harrison gets selected because there is no way that the announcement being made at a New York Super Bowl doesn't include Strahan after he missed this past time.
    I also have no clue what the voters are going to do about Walter Jones, especially after putting in so many offensive linemen recently, on the first ballot no less, with Will Shields continuing to wait.

So there might be only two spots left

12. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Regarding what criteria makes a head coach worthy of the HOF, from my perspective, it would be...

* Did the coach introduce any concepts that impacted the game and changed it any way it was played in the NFL?
    * Did the coach have success with a variety of players or multiple teams? (Not just Super Bowls, but playoff trips.)
    * Did he win a Coach of the Year award? If not, how often was he a top candidate?
    * How many players who played for this coach achieved individual recognition? How much of those accomplishments can be attributed to how the coach "coached them up"?
    * Can he truly be argued as the best coach in NFL history who is not in the Hall of Fame?
    * Did he uphold the standards of character and sportsmanship?

As far as coaches up for consideration, I wouldn't put Dungy in the HOF right away. The main reason is that there are some players up for consideration who I think have better overall HOF cases than Dungy does. And yes, it's tough to compare players to coaches but you have to compare their cases to some extent given that you can only put so many individuals into the HOF each year.

Draft saved Draft deleted