1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the conservative radio hosts' strategy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, May 27, 2008.

1. I've caught some GOP radio lately - Rush, Savage and a couple of others - but not enough to completely understand what their bottom line is.

Their message has been consistent on two points:

1. Obama is a gay-loving, media-blow-job receiving liberal with no real message.
    2. McCain is an ancient, fake Republican "pinko" who is running the stupidest campaign known to man.

Their coverage of Hillary is almost positive compared to what they're doing to McCain and Obama. Rush the other day was even sympathizing with Hillary over how the DNC has mistreated her as a woman.

I think it's obvious they'd rather face Hillary in the general election, but the treatment of McCain is a bit surprising to me, considering that at some point they're going to encourage voters to cast their ballots for him in November.

My best guess is they're abusing him now to force him to run a more conservative campaign and enlist a conservative like Huckabee or Romney as a VP candidate. But what if he doesn't? Are they really going to tell people to vote for Hillary instead?

What leverage do they really have? Like him or not, he's the candidate the GOP voted for. Are they hoping a write-in emerges?

BTW, this is a thread to discuss strategy, not a shot at Republicans or Democrats. (Lord knows they both suck :D )

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'm being dead honest here -- I think the strategy is a win-win for them. No matter who gets the presidency, they have someone to bitch about for the next four years.

If it's McCain, they can snipe at him for being a traitor. If it's Obama, they can get vicious on the Democrats, who will likely control all three branches of the government.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They don't want to endorse McCain this fall, thus they encouraged their listeners in open-primary states to vote for Hillary in the primaries so she would gain the nomination.

Thus, instead of rallying the troops around the McCain flag they could forget about their nominee and encourage their listeners to mobilize against that foul, evil Clinton woman.

But they're not going to get another chance to demonize the Clintons. I dunno what their plan is. Maybe Limbaugh will spend his time talking about the NFL.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Savage isn't GOP radio. It's John Birch Society radio.

5. It's all been the same, as far as presidential politics.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You have blowhards like Lars Larson, wearing the toga of libertarianism. It's a transparent one, and like the green guy here on the board, he too has no stones.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Rush and his posse are gobsmacked. From the moment Bill and Dubya shook hands in front of the moving vans, they've been mobilizing to pummel Hillary in '08.
    Obama threw a giant wrench in their plans. They support Hillary now because they don't want THAT kind of person running the country.

8. What do you mean by THAT?

9. But he carries a gun.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Actually, it's more like Aryan Brotherhood or Westboro Baptist Church radio

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Don't worry about Mike Tee-Vee there, his gun is useless.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A White Sox fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted