1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the closest you've come to nuking yourself?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If it makes you happy, you got it, mon frere.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Likewise, those not-so-random posts about the Jayhawks, Royals, Steelers, Penguins and Pirates would make it easy for anyone to spot me. Though I have put in thought of nuking this account at 9,999 posts, just because.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am quoting this, so I can reference it in the future when I get confused about which teams you like.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Go clean your bowl.
    (It's an old Zen joke.)

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I came pretty close to nuking myself within the last 6 months. I actually feel like a loser about how much this place was affecting me. In the end, I probably wouldn't have nuked, I would have just gone away--I actually have for short periods of time. It was a confluence of things. I won't get into how my real life was impacting it, but Jones is right (he rarely is, so let's celebrate it!), this place is important to me--it scares me that it is, but it is. I can't put my finger exactly on it, but there are probably two dozen people here (including Jones), most of whom I have never met, who are among the most thoughtful, interesting and witty people I might meet anywhere under any circumstances. And they express themselves with words so damned well. It's the nature of the beast. They make a bunch of people on here I don't particularly care for or find all that engaging, almost invisible to me.

Without getting into my real life, I am working massive hours right now--many solitary--trying to make two deadlines that are just far away enough (and maybe unattainable) for it to be a mental drain at times. And this place makes for a wonderful diversion. I feel like I have real friends here. And I get to pontificate like the blowhard I am at heart.

In a way, the anonymity is good when it comes to a lot of people on here. It allows me to appreciate them without knowing their warts--and them to hopefully appreciate me without knowing mine (those who know me, no peanut gallery stuff!). The downside is that anonymity emboldens people to act in ways they never would if they had to look the other person in the eye. At one point, I had someone who is no longer with us stalking me from thread to thread lobbing insults. (Yes, I know I was not unique, but I felt like I got a special brand of venom). I knew it's just a message board. But it still got to me. I think that would affect anyone, but maybe I was letting it get to me too much. At best, it was tedious. I'd try to ignore it. I'd stay away from threads he was on. But as he neared his flame-out, he was on here 24 hours a day, and if I was on, he was finding any thread I posted on, and immediately following it with unsolicited nastiness unrelated to the thread topic. I got to the point where I was just ignoring the posts, but it was relentless. At that point, I just decided it wasn't fun being on here. I tried yelling back. I tried being polite. I started to stay away. More than once, I read the nastiness, and sincerely typed, "If you don't like me, why not just ignore me? I have gladly been trying to ignore you!"

In any case, at that point I gave serious consideration to nuking. Really serious thought. And it made me feel sad because of those people on here that really do enrich me.

I sometimes worry that I come off more opinionated on here than I do in real life. And I express my opinions strongly. I also think I do a pretty good job of having strong, rigid opinions and still being respectful of the people I engage on here. It doesn't mean I won't mock you. But I try to be good-natured, not venomous. Others might not agree with that characterization of myself. In any case, hopefully I balance my sometimes way-too-serious stuff with some humor. This is my insecurity, I guess, but I have actually wondered how I come off on here and whether it is a real reflection of how I am. Amazingly, I am just an anonymous screen name on here, but this place somehow makes me self-conscious about myself. Go figure. Maybe that is why the place got to me so much that I gave consideration to nuking myself.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I wasn't really stalking you, sc, really, I wasn't.

7. I nuked myself after posting a picture of me teabagging Buck.

I felt bad about it because Buck had his mouth open in the picture and he got a lot of grief about it (it's why he insists on trying to feud with me).

One of the side benefits to nuking yourself is that your post total goes to zero. That way you can start off small again instead of being a loser with over 10,000 posts to prove you waste too much time here. Moddy and Webby have closed this loop-hole now because they have to approve the deletion of an account.

I miss the days when you could change your screen name too.

8. Under my previous handle, I had approximately 3,000 posts. I was here for the beginning of SportsJournalists.com. Registered on 10/11/02.

I nuked that handle in the fall. It had nothing to do with being upset over posts, topics, content, PMs. I had someone monitoring my posts whom I did not want monitoring my posts. That's it and that's all.

It's true that you have to get by Moddy and Webby to get accounts nuked. They expressed concern when I asked for a nuke. I thought that was very nice of them. That definitely made me think twice about things, but I really didn't have a choice.

So there you go: One nuker's story.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Probably the time I opened the microwave door without hitting STOP first. That was some scary shit.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I tend to post at work but usually refrain from doing so at home, because like work, I try to keep it separate from my "other" life. I get frustrated sometimes, not from the argument on a message board perspective, but from a social level. It's something I deal with on a daily basis.

For example, in my government class last night, I was a liberal in a sea of conservatives and a former journalist in an ocean of people who pretty much despise the media. And hearing some of the hateful things people say, it sometimes makes me wonder if I take any of this too seriously.

When I find myself getting that way, I simply close the site and read a book, instead.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think it's pretty common knowledge that I had the same problem, most probably with the same poster. And this is where the "it's just a message board" people don't get it. When every post you make gets met with something totally off-track, posted just to get a rise out of you, you start wondering, what's the point if I can't get my point across?

And I also find myself wondering if said person can actually be so negative in real life. It's depressing. And yes, it's led from time to time to me wondering if spending time here was worth it.

(Off-track missives may follow ;))

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Have never considered nuking myself.

Many of you have stated there's a definitive line between being anonymous on here and knowing other SportsJournalists.com posters.

I've been on this board for many years now, and I have to say I felt a closer bond to it after going to the first SportsJournalists.com outing, and then the second, and then meeting a few posters in person outside of the outings. For me, it shows there are real people, with real feelings, and real contributions behind the anonymity.

Knowing I have "real" SportsJournalists.com friends -- meaning, people I can txt message or go to lunch with instead of wait on a PM days later, has provided a deeper sense of significance and a connection to this so-called 'it's just a message board.' Not sure about the rest of you, but I value SportsJournalists.com and our not-so-little family - whether I've met you in person or not.

---
    Wow, that was more mushy than I had anticipated.

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted