1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the closest you've come to nuking yourself?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I came very close tonight.

Nothing set me off. I'm not mad at SJ or anyone on it. It doesn't trip my trigger daily as it once did, but I'm also not one of those posters who pines for the good old days, and there are days when I'm prolific as ever and enjoy it as much as I ever have. I admit, I do miss the days of "my" night crew -- when IJAG, BYH, Dooley, etc., traded PMs like we were high school classmates. I guess we've all graduated from that.

At the time I considered the nuking, I felt like I was played out on SJ, like I wasn't adding anything at all to this site other than ideas and thoughts I've rehashed from threads of the past. I try to not to be a one-trick pony, but I wonder sometimes.

It doesn't help that I don't know many of the people here socially, my family comes first, so doing things like SJ outings seem distant to me. I'd love to do an outing, though I suspect I'd be underwhelmingly normal to many of you. I'm certain I've come across many of you in the line of my work, but never knew it.

I guess I'm just in a rut. Clearly I didn't nuke myself, the thought crossed my mind that to consider myself "played out on SJ" is a tacit admission that I think I'm king shit on SJ to begin with ... and I ain't. So please forgive my self-importance. And the self-indulgence of this thread. I'm sure I'll read this tomorrow and delete it.

In the meantime, any of you come close to going Def-con 5 on yourself?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I miss the times when night crews PMed each other too, Bubs.

That being said, no member of the year has ever nuked. Therefore, you are not allowed.

3. Bubbler

Jones did. But that was before was he member of the year.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

No offense, but it's just a message board. I enjoy my time here. I enjoy the arguments, the banter, the acerbic sense of humor that most of the folks on here seem to share. Maybe I'd feel more passionately about it if I knew anyone on the board outside of the board, but that isn't the case.

At the end of the day, it's a message board. I'm happy to join, and I appreciate the work put in to give us a forum like this. But I've never understood "nuking" one's self. What could be so bad on here that you decide never to return?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Never, although I've needed to take a hiatus every once in a while. In the spring, our workload is ridiculous; it's even worse than football season. So posting takes a back seat, but I still scan the boards.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Some people don't see it as 'just a message board' and can make this place a living hell. Trust that.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Well-put, DD.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Relax Bubs, you're way overthinking this place.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Close. Very close.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't understand the purpose of deleting your membership if you plan to eventually come back.
    If you're tired or bored of the place, just don't visit the board for a while.
    I've never worried about what I don't contribute. It doesn't matter that I'm a one- or no-trick pony.
    Lighten up, Bub. Take a break for a while. Get some work done. Recharge your batteries. Go to Wal-Mart and then come back.

11. Bubbler

That's definitely true. The PM Wars many of us never see are worthy of George Lucas treatment in the breadth and scope for some posters. IJAG's right, the levels of obsession some have on here is scary.

But none of that is my problem. I don't, and have never had, a troll who stalked me. I've embroiled myself in plenty of board feuds and posted shit that pissed people off (the PMs were flying when I started a thread that Bush resign in the wake of Katrina), but have never made a true enemy, at least none I know of. To my knowledge, I've never been in trouble with the mods or Webby. I'm boring as fuck.

The near-nuking was just low self-esteem angst or something. Can't put my finger on it because I normally roll my eyes at these types of self-indulgent woe-is-me posts on a message board.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You're such a looser, Bubs.

Draft saved Draft deleted