1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the biggest misconception people you know have about sports journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norman Stansfield, Sep 3, 2006.

1. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Philly fans might be mutants and the teams truly have forgot how to win, but I'll be damned if Philly isn't one of the most entertaining markets in the country. That said, every moron down there thinks he could be the next Angelo Cataldi (which isn't saying much) and do this gig. Riiiiiiiiiiight.

PS - Hustle, I <3 Yuengling, too.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: What's the biggest misconception people you know have about sports journalis

Nice post, hacknaway. I think a lot of us get so wrapped up in the job -- and I'm guilty of this, certainly -- that we don't *allow* ourselves to have a life otherwise.

Not saying that it's easy to have a life in this biz, because it's not ... but if you don't take any time for yourself, you're not doing anyone any favors. It is, you know, "just" a job -- as much as it isn't, it is.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: What's the biggest misconception people you know have about sports journalis

So, Pringle, you worry about what your mother says, but you blissfully "hang out" with your wife?

Sure she's not barking orders at you while you do the laundry or nag about your inability to get that SI job?

Anyway, for me, the more my kids get involved in sports and the circle of acquaintances via rec leagues and such grows, the more people try to get crap in the paper.

Hey, do I go down to your CPA company with my tax forms and ask you to do my taxes for free?

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Nah, she doesn't want to really move, so she's hoping to stave it off as long as possible.

I don't really "worry" about what my mother says, per say. She's just an example of family members who constantly tell me that I should be at said major metro any day now.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm sure they mean it to be a compliment.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Yeah, exactly. That's what my brother told me - the point of the story.

And the point is that a lot of people think those beats are relatively easy to come by - they don't understand that there are hundreds - thousands - of people like little Johnny or Susie who cover games and go to locker rooms and talk to famous players.

7. Mira

Mira Member

Just because I'm a woman working in sports that I exclusively write about women's sports.

Or that I have the inclination to write exclusively about women's sports and be an advocate for women's sports getting more space in the paper.

And I want to throw in my two cents that traveling can be a pain. I had a five-day trip for an assignment several years back and it was draining. Driving and stopping and talking and no sleeping. When I got home all I wanted to do was sleep and be alone for a week.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That reminds me:

That Title IX applies to newspapers and that we are bound by federal law to cover men's and women's sports equally.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I went a round with a SWA at a local college not too long ago. I would figure that she would know better, or perhaps she thought I wouldn't.

10. Keystone

Keystone Member

Our Eagles beat writer made an appearance in the office last night to help proof our NFL tab. It's the first time I've seen him since July and will probably the last time I'll see him until December, or January if the Birds make the playoffs.

11. Agitator

Agitator New Member

I do just want to say, I've worked in sports, but mostly on the news side. Some of the comments from you guys about the news people getting out at 5:00 every day are as ignorant as the ones you are complaining about. I don't know where you live, but at the places I've been, the news doesn't stop at 5:00. They're probably just going to get a bite to eat before heading out to an exciting school board meeting. And yes, we do know deadline pressure too.

12. The worse thing to me is people always saying to me, "Why don't you get a job at Sports Illustrated," as if that hasn't crossed my mind. Gee, that's a good idea. I should just send over a resume and I'll start next week!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted