1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the bigger story for a local paper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Aug 20, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ok, I've been having an argument with my coworker for the better part of an hour now.

Please help settle this. I'm going to give you two scenerios. Please choose which one you would, as a local weekly paper, run if you had to choose between the two.

A.) Local teacher/coach competes in a local race with 600 or so other local runners. The race doesn't mean much, it's for charity. But local angle in a local race would provide what both of us agree is a "good story".

B.) Local golf prodigy competing in one of several tournaments this summer against national competition. She played in the state amateur event a couple of weeks ago and we covered her then. The tournament in question is just outside our coverage area but we can get to it.

Who is right? Who is wrong?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Cover the local race and get in a full list of the results. Gets you more names.

Have the golf prodigy's dad take a picture from the tournament and send it in to you.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Come up with a really good angle for option A, and it is stellar.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'd choose Option A, but I'd still run a photo of Option B and put in an extended caption if at all possible.

6. The answser is A, but is the question loaded to make it so?

Are you really asking or just seeking validation for your decision?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If the runner is a good feature story, roll with it. Local race, local angle, and 600 runners is a pretty good turnout. Like OnTheRiver said, if you run results and maybe a couple pictures of the run, I've got to think more people would be interested in that.
    Plus, you've just covered the golfer a couple weeks ago. You want to avoid overkill on those types of stories. You can always do a follow-up feature if she does well at this latest tournament.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

We both agreed on the wording of the statement.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I like option B more, unless, like I said, you have a really good angle for option A.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Screw em both.

I heard there is an AAU U-12 girls team that took third against "national" competition!!!

Seriously, A.

Tons of good art should be available as well.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Why not both?

Draft saved Draft deleted