1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the best unlimited cell package out there ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

as far as price and service? I'm paying $159 a month right now for my wife and I for droids, and our contract is up.
    Obviously it depends on where I live, but maybe this thread may be of service to other folks as well.
    Please fire away with anything you have that beats my price while giving quality service.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've concluded that if you want to save money on cell service, you have to go prepaid. Straight talk has a deal where you use your current phone, buy the sim card and pay $45 a month for unlimited per line. The phone you have will determine which network you're on. Port your number, try it for a month to see how it works, then if it doesn't you can look for something better. If you're diametrically opposed to Wal-Mart, you'll have to find another carrier, but it's hard to beat that price.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Data plan too, right?

Boost and Metro PCS have "unlimited" plans - data, calling, text - that start at $40 per month per line. I think the quality of either would depend entirely upon where you live - and whether or not you travel.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

we went with verizon, got a galaxy, times two for $200, and by the time my wife gets the discount for where she works, we'll be saving $60 a month on our monthly plan. gotta say, i wasn't too disappointed with that.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nice.

And for anyone interested, Verizon Wireless still has the iPhone 4 available free. The 4s is $99.00.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. Got the 4s for $99 a couple months ago. And Verizon's new data plan (you pay a monthly fee for a certain amount of data with free and unlimited talk and text) actually dropped our bill by about $20.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i absolutely prefer my galaxy to anything. glad i chose it. phones will be paid for with the money i save on my plan in less than a year and then it's all cake.

i also bought the warranty, which i normally don't do, but when my contract is up in 20 months, they are going to give me $185 back to use to buy another phone ... seemed like a good investment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

$72 a month unlimited data, talk, text with Sprint. android phone. deal's almost up, tho.

9. JackReacher

Sounds like a great deal. I almost went with the Galaxy, but it was a little too big, especially after you get a case on that sucker. My brother has one, and I was messing with it over the holiday. Pretty sweet phone. Did yours come with video the hot blonde MILF made for the husband's business trip?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

no. mine came with the blonde MILF. ; )

11. JackReacher

Well, then. You have some work to do.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm ready to upgrade my phone. So I go into my local Verizon store and learn that I'm not eligible for an upgrade until December 2013. So I'm ready to give the company more money every month and Verizon won't take it for another year; how's THAT for a brilliant business plan?

Draft saved Draft deleted