1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the best thing to do when a coach yells at you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 24, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

10-12 years ago had a high school girls' tennis coach get extremely pissed at me over a story from the county tournament where I quoted what she yelled at one of her players during a changeover in the second set (I was a good 20-25 yards away at the time watching another match when I heard the coach yell at her player "don't let that cheater win"). Went over to watch that match and after the coach's shouting at her player, her player fell apart and proceeded to lose that set and the next set. Stated that in my story. Coach calls the paper threatening a libel suit. Instead of calling in her results the rest of the season she faxes them in.
    I just let the incident go, although the following week coaches from two other teams thanked me for including what she shouted. But when the state tournament arrived and her team finished second, I went to talk to her about her team's performance. She asked me if I was going to apologize. I said no. Her response was not to talk to me for the story.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

30 minutes, I'm not sure. 35-45 minutes yes.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Oh yes. I'm sleeping with all of the editors I string for. Publishers too.

Draft saved Draft deleted