1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the best thing to do when a coach yells at you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 24, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I did a search and I apologize if this is a d_b question but the Gundy incident reminded me of the first time a coach yelled at me.

I think I said something — in the sincerest voice I could muster — like, "I can see that you're upset now. Maybe after you calm down, we can talk about the game."

What is the best way to react to a player or coach who goes nuts over a column or story you wrote?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Had a coach show me up once in front of a group of reporters after a game. I was not happy about it. Sadly, I did nothing.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Mr. Brecht, that's probably the best way to handle something like that. The next day, you go back and see if the coach will discuss the source of his consternation in private.

On the other thread, Cougargirl's suggestion of a firm, "Are you finished?" sounded good to me as well. When the coach is finished, resume questioning.

Or perhaps I'm completely off-base. I'd prefer to take the high road regardless.

4. Pull a knife.

5. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Coach: "You call that a knife? This is a knife."

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Fixed. Expect a Tony Award.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Hit the record button and print every fucking word he says.

8. Yell right back...

9. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

You might have been joking about that, but is a high school coach's meltdown a public meltdown?

Let's say Gundy is a prep coach — which he might be soon — and he does this same thing in a post-game with you and maybe another reporter. Do you publish any of it?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Be professional. Bertolt's answer probably is the best one.

And regarding the preps question: probably not. On a college or pro level, sure, fans/readers love coach meltdowns, but on the prep level people either: a. won't care, or b. will take coach's side since they're such rabid homers and incapable of rationality when it comes to "their team." It's a no-win situation.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I had a parent actually come across the gym and yell at me after a volleyball game last week. It was unlike anything I've experienced in more than 10 years of doing this stuff. There was one particularly bad call that could have changed the outcome of the match. Of course, he thought there umpteen bad calls.

So he started yelling about this in my face, well maybe three feet away. He was nearly foaming at the mouth. Before I could respond, though, he said he was going to the paper. He seemed to understand that I was with the paper, but I guess he figured I was going to sweep it under the rug. The fact is that it was a regular-season volleyball match that had no bearing on anything at all, save for district tournament seeding.

I decided later that I would never just stand there and take such abuse again. The next time, I'm going to make it abundantly clear that the individual has crossed a line, but I'll do so by remaining calm and pointing out that they are way out of line.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I stand there and smile at the coach and let them have their say

It's better to let them get it out than to have it fester.

You write about them. They deserve their say -- and that's how most coaches communicate -- by yelling.

Crazy parents I turn it back on them.

So you want me to write about the bad calls? How many would you say there were? Can I quote you? Why do you think there were so many calls against Podunk High? What would you consider the going rate is for bribing a volleyball officias? Did you see an exchange of money? Because we would need some proof.

Once they realize how impossible if would be to write a story along the lines of what they think is a story, they start to froth less.

Draft saved Draft deleted