1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the BEST thing a boss has ever done for you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by forever_town, Apr 18, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Taking a different approach from the "worst thing" threads, what's the best thing a boss has ever done for you?

I can only think of one: He "rehired" me after my stint at a daily didn't work out.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

Bueller? Bueller?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My ex-boss knew me through random e-mails from some hopeless girl who just wanted to try to stretch outside her small daily. When a job came open here, he gave me the heads up. He was just a beat writer/ASE then. I came in, got the job offer, and am still here despite him running for the hills.

So the best thing my (ex) boss ever did for me? Take a chance.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Held a great job open for me while I finished school... Went to bat for me to get a very controversial article I wrote in the paper...

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was fortunate enough to have a boss who understands personal situations well.

I took a chance discussing said personal situation with him a couple of weeks before I gave notice. More than once, he pulled me aside to ask me how I was doing - no strings attached. After I left, he called a couple of times to ask me how things were going.

He's good people and I'm pleased to say I talked to him barely a month ago - almost a year after I left the publication. I just hope I might be able to get some backing if I look for jobs outside my current area. Nine months in, still nothing. My dislike for this area is rapidly increasing, and my family's lack of perspective is the gasoline fumes on an already powerful fire.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Wasn't for me, but a fairly veteran guy in our office had a job offer and was going to leave.

Boss told him to wait, but wouldn't give a reason. Veteran guy took him at his word and managed to buy some time from the other place.

A few weeks later, company offers buyouts to employees.

Veteran guy walked away with more than a year's pay and started work at the other place three days later.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Now THAT'S awesome.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Had a smoking hot daughter who loved to give me blow jobs on the construction site.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hope someone was wearing a hard hat.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ain't nobody topping that.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Winner.

In high school, I worked at a shitty little seafood restaurant some three hours from the coast. Boss turned the other way as we drank his beer, hit (and sometimes more) on the waitresses and generally showed little disregard to the law. At the time, I thought he was the shit.

In journalism, my boss definitely has his moments. Sticks up for his staff at all costs, almost never turns down an idea and has told more than a couple of SEs at bigger chains that they need to take a long look at my work.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My boss (who recently retired) gave me a six-pack of quality beer when I changed my schedule for him at the last minute, gave me Cavs tix a couple times, and never let my screw-ups get to the higher-ups when he could contain the situation. He's a great guy.

Never really had a terrible immediate supervisor. One guy was an asshole, but the kind of asshole I can respect.

Draft saved Draft deleted