1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the BEST state in the union?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I've got that one. Except it's a shot glass. Was looking for one with the Temple stenciled on it.

For states, I have to say Oregon is about as close to perfect as they get — if you can tolerate the dark, rainy winters. Portland is as good a city as there is, the coast is stunning, the there are distinct regions. The wine — I'm especially fond of that pinot vino you'll find around Dundee and Carlton — is to die for. It's also home to the microbrew capitol of the world. Portland is eclectic, you have hipsters and litsters, plus a distinct blue collar, rural mentality in certain neighborhoods. There's not a ton of black/white diversity, but plenty of, "I like this, you like that and we coexist peacefully" diversity.

Other town are hit and miss. Salem sucks, but is a stoner's throw from wine country and the beach (and we know stoners throw like girls). Eugene is, well, the hometown of Ken Kesey (Pleasant Hill, actually, but I'm being broad). Bend is as good as any of the aforementioned towns in Colorado. The Columbia River Gorge is as pretty as Maine and Vermont, to be sure.

Have I said anything not worth liking yet?

Oh, and you can drive in any direction until you run out of gas and not have to pay a toll. That, to me was the most annoying thing about living back East.

2. Law_Student

Law_Student New Member

Eugene is sketch.

A real shithole.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think cops anywhere have a problem cuffing and detaining folks should they get the urge. They can always come up with some reason.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If they have probable cause, cops anywhere can grab you, and it can take a lot longer than 30 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted