1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the BEST state in the union?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Jul 29, 2010.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It'd be hard for me to pick any state other than Texas. The biggest problem here is when you open your front door you almost immediately start sweating in July and August. All three of the major cities (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio) have such different personalities as does each region of the state. Plus it has about 20 counties bigger than the state of Rhode Island.

After that Alaska (I'd miss pro sports, but man Alaska is gorgeous) then Washington (primarily west of the forest)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Typical Texan. Picks his favorite states by size.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

For the record, I love Vermont.
    Since it does not have a seashore, however, it is out of this conversation.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

As someone who lives a block from the Ocean, I'd take a freshwater lake over the ocean any day.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK. I'll trade you Lake Erie for the Caribbean.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course Alpine might as well be on Mars for as far as it is from civilization.

Here's a good example of how big Texas is:

Dallas to Alpine- 491 miles

Dallas to Meridian, Mississippi- 492 miles

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I couldn't live anywhere in the Central Zone. I lived in it for six months once and hated it because you're an hour behind everything. I hate it every time I have to travel there "OK, what time is it really?"

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

My dad has always told me "it's not where you're at, it's who you're there with." If you live in the greatest city in the world, but don't have any good friends and/or loved ones to share it with, you'll probably be miserable. You can be in a pretty shitty place, but if you're living it with great friends and family, you'll probably enjoy yourself quite a bit.

That being said, I wouldn't mind living somewhere that has warm weather year round. Austin/San Antonio/Houston wouldn't be too bad. Houston gets humid as hell, but I mind that less than cold weather. I spent the largest chunk of my youth living in Northeast Texas, and I really enjoyed it, but every time I go back I wonder WTF I liked about it. Of the places I've spent a significant amount of time, I'll vote for Texas. The worst part, for me, is the conservative nature of the general population.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Washington, but only the western part of the state.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll take Mars. :)

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

To each their own. I'll take the cold weather over the heat any day.

Draft saved Draft deleted