1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the BEST state in the union?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Jul 29, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lots of predictable ripping on the worst state in the union. But what about the best? Namely, which state would you move to tomorrow if you could and see yourself as very happy? Or are you already there? From schools for your kids to cost of living to things to do on a constant/consistent basis to weather to people.

I'm biased. I think I'm in the best one. It's got everything except a beach.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If I could summer in Fort Collins and winter in Key West, I'd be a happy, happy man.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

:)

Singular. Best State.

Actually, winter in Fort Collins is very, tame.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Make mine Colorado (save, perhaps, for Colorado Springs).

Honorable mentions, in no particular order: Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Idaho

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Drunken state.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll try and avoid states I've lived in:

I'll go with Maine. It's not overrun with development, you've got a coastline, they seem to elect political leaders that aren't batshit crazy, and it has a decent beer scene.
    Biggest con for me is a lack of big time college and pro sports.

I also like North Carolina, Montana and parts of New Mexico.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

1) Minnesota

2) Colorado

3) Washington (especially if you can ignore the gawd-awful Mariners)

4) Maine

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe one of the reasons I like Maine is that I don't associate that state with douchebag sports fans crying about "not getting respect" or whining about how they are cursed like I do from so many places.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Boston teams fill that void, in particular the Sawx.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

See, that's just it. I don't think I've got a particular state that's my dream destination. Cities, yes. Hell, I've got specific neighborhoods in certain cities that I'd love to move to tomorrow if I had the chance.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I've never met a Maine resident who didn't complain about non-New England sports fans not being true fans. Maybe I got a bad sampling.

I'd go with Montana. No extremely large cities, nice people, gorgeous. Runner-up: Florida. It's the exact opposite of Montana, but I grew up there and love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted