1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the best song to be ruined by an advertisement?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 28, 2007.

1. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

The song is awful and annoying to begin with, but these current commercials (I can't even think of what they are for because I turn it off so quickly) with that "Turn around, every now and then I fall apart, turn around, every now and then I feel a little bit lonely" song from one of those 80's female sings like Bonnie Tyler or Barbara Streisand is absolutely the worst.

I can't stand that song now. I used to just dislike it, now, when I hear it is like someone is hitting me in the head with a tack hammer while scratching their nails on a chalkboard. It makes my skin crawl.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

ha...I would put that on the commercials I hate thread as well. I believe it's Avis. About the guy who wants to get intimate with his GPS system. Can't stand the guy, can't stand the commercial, and now that you mention it, can't stand the song.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Smoke on the Water will always be known exclusively for the guitar riff, but it's dead to me for testing cars.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I did like the use of Love Hurts in Gatorade commercials from a decade ago.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

You people think you have problems? Try being a classical music (especially opera) lover. They destroy music all the time for commercials. Verdi's "La Donna e mobile" is used especially often (although I liked the A & E ad for "The Sopranos" that used it).

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Alert for the posters on this thread -- BestBuy is the North American tour sponsor for The Police.

Nothing can convey the need for the consumer to buy an HD TV, computer or a digital camera like "When the World is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around" or "Spirits in the Material World"

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

For his entire career, Joey Ramone wanted his just due for being a Rock/Punk Icon. Then, he dies and we get to here Hey! Ho! Let's Go! in commercials.

That ad guy just bought some overtime in Hades.

Sheena is a Punk Rocker!

8. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

-"Soul Man" when it was used by Bob Dole

-"Don't Stop Thinking about Tomorrow" when Clinton used it

-"Do you believe in magic" when McDonald's used it

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

nick drake's 'pink moon' on a volkswagen commercial.
    i still like the song though.

i'm not a huge janis joplin fan, but mercedes used her mercedes benz song.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Picture Book by the Kinks in what I think was a HP ad.

Weird to hear it a track off of Village Green Preservation Society become an ad to begin with and kinda sad because it was one of those undiscovered songs I liked that few others knew about.

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

that damn m&m's commercial is ruining the the's 'this is the day'

12. Shrek 3 commercials keep playing the Zeppelin song that it bastardized during the Snow White scene ... I can remember all the lyrics, can't place the name of the song but I'm pretty sure it's now dead to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted