1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the best song to be ruined by an advertisement?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 28, 2007.

1. What's the best song to be ruined by an advertisement?

You know what I mean:
    When I hear Led Zepplin's "Rock and Roll" I don't think about a concert or a great time I had with my friends. The first thing that pops into my mind is a fucking Cadillac!
    To me, the song has been ruined by marketing.
    I understand the concept: A song 25 years old has probably outlived its usefulness and the artists may need a little money.
    But there should be some songs that are never branded with advertising - they should be taboo.

What are they?
    And which is the greatest transgression?

Hank Jr.'s "Rowdy Friends" is the worst for me. It is ruined.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

"You say good buy and I say hello" Ick.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Any Beatles song

4. The worst ones are when they not only copy a tune, but then they bastardize it by substituting words with three or four more syllables than the original lyrics. Dominos does this all the time, but my head's not clear enough of noise right now to give an example.

5. I think music in commercials is the equivalent of pop radio 20 years ago. I sometimes wish that artist and song title would be listed in a corner during a commercial a la videos on MTV2 (since MTV seems to not play music videos nowadays).
    The only other times I really notice a song in a commercial is when it's an artist I can't imagine being okay with the use of their music for the purpose of selling flavored corn chips. I don't remember which company used a Clash song a couple of years back. I do remember being surprised to hear a Clash song in a commercial (and no...it's not the cell phone add where the guy is singing the wrong lyrics to "Rock the Casbah"). The commercial recently that surprised me, not because I felt that the artist would be above letting their music be used in a commercial but because I hadn't heard it in one sooner, is the Wendy's ad with Violent Femmes "Blister In the Sun" as background music.

6. "And, we heard Michael change the lyrics to a number of classic songs, which for me, has ruined them for life."

-Jim Halpert

7. Blister in the Sun shocked the Hell out of me too.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Earth, Wind & Fire ... heard cases where "In The Stone" and "Shining Star" have been hacked.

Then again, so many riffs from Stevie Wonder have been taken from no-talent idiots ... gets really old.

Also, "Just What I Needed" by The Cars has almost been ruined for me, while a couple of tunes by Lenny Kravitz were dangerously close to getting there.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I can remember how shocking it was when Lennon's Revolution was used to sell Nikes.

We've gotten way past that, it seems to me.

It's a little jarring to hear the musical intro for Lust for Life selling a cruise line, I suppose. Read the lyrics.

That Modern English song, "I melt with you" song I always liked and now it's been used in several commercials, including Burger King. I still like it, though.

10. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

At the risk of a threadjack, I enjoyed this

11. Remember when the NFL pulled the "My name is Joe" commercials because a bunch of people complained Eminem's song "My Name is" was about drug abuse and violence? I bet they could get away with it now.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I don't like the original song, so I guess I'm stretching the definition of "best," but the bastardization of the EMF song "Unbelieveable" into "Crumbelieveable" in the Kraft Cheese Crumbles commercial is stomach-turning. Like I said, I don't even like the song, but it's ruined for me now.

Draft saved Draft deleted