1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the best movie you've seen this year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 30, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wall-E would be my No. 1. Dark Knight would be second.
    I also liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Iron Man, the Bank Job and Tropic Thunder.
    Hancock wasn't awful, while Burn After Reading and Pineapple Express were amusing.
    I haven't seen most of the year-enders like Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, Frost/Nixon and Benjamin Button, so my list might change.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With Ferrell, if the movie is R, there's a good chance it's pretty funny. Step Brothers was pretty funny and while Semi-Pro was mediocre, it had a few hilarious moments.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ben Gump is maybe in my top 10.... maybe

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Naughty Neighbors #69

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Wall-E. I got it for Christmas this year and just watched it again. Still amazing.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh boy. C'mon now. You see enough movies not to say that.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I can go seven movies on a number of "Hollywood" directors...but why only Hollywood?

8. Mizzougrad96

Because not all of us see the silent Indonesian films like you do.

9. Mizzougrad96

Benjamin Button - Have not seen yet.
    Zodiac - Best film of last year.
    Panic Room - Very, very good film.
    Fight Club - One of my favorite movies ever.
    Se7en - A classic
    The Game -Great movie
    Alien 3 - First film. It's well-documented that he didn't have final say over the cut. Still not bad.

One miss, in his first film. I want to see another director who has done that kind of work in the last 16 years.

10. Mizzougrad96

Just saw Slumdog Millionaire, which I liked a lot more than I thought I would.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

BTW, best film I saw in 2008: Probably Happy Go Lucky.

12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with Alma here.

If we are talking top seven movies in the last 17 years, I don't think anyone can touch Joel Coen. If we want to cut the list to four movies, I'd throw Paul Thomas Anderson in for discussion, in addition to, of course, Scorcese.

And if we're talking pure Hollywood success, can anyone really top Clint Eastwood's decade? Gran Torino, Changeling, Letters from Iwo Jima, Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River, all since 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted