1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the best movie you saw this decade?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For comedy, I might go with Tropic Thunder, The Hangover and Superbad. The first Harold and Kumar film might be up there too. There haven't been many good comedies in awhile though.

2. Mizzougrad96

The LOTR movies are incredibly well done, and if you're into that stuff, I can see how all would be on this list. I can barely sit through them though.

3. baskethead

baskethead Member

I liked the LOTR movies, but not so much that they're among my favorites.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Is there a difference between best and most enjoyable.

Most enjoyable for me was Iron Man, best was The Departed.

5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I loved The Departed. It holds up really well to multiple viewings.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wedding Crashers was one of my favorites, Top 10. Even though somebody who didn't see it said it was horrible.

7. Bodie_Broadus

If you shut Wedding Crashers off after 45 minutes, it is a great film.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Mizzou, I could definitely do a movie marathon with you. Our tastes line up in many ways, including Tropic Thunder being one of the funniest of the decade (though I'd choose Old School for the No. 1 slot).

Anywho ...

Gladiator was the movie that jumped to mind immediately for me. Into the Wild is also up there. I think it's Gladiator and then everything else, but there have been some great movies this decade (Christopher Nolan can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned, and the Coen Brothers haven't made anything I liked since The Big Lebowski).

One that I'm not sure would make my top 10 but definitely left a lasting impact on me was Hard Candy. Absolutely gripping movie.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Blood Diamond was also an amazing movie .... Leo has done some great work this decade. I'm amazed by his range ... from playing Howard Hughes, to an Irish street rat, to a Rhodesian diamond smuggler, to a South Boston undercover cop ... Damn, he's good.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

hard candy took you places you never really expected to go. top 10 of the decade for me.

the departed, except for leo, was crap.

the assassination of jesse james is top 10, and so is gone, baby, gone, which means it was a good decade for one of the afflecks.

11. Bodie_Broadus

I was actually going to say Blood Diamond was one of my favorites. DiCaprio is great.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of those mentioned:

REALLY liked:

Almost Famous
    The Departed

LikedL:

Kill Bill
    Eternal Sunshine
    Zodiac
    No Country
    There Will Be Blood
    Once

Over-Rated (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap):

Jesse James
    Napoleon Dynamite . . .and more than any other, given the broad adoration accorded:

the abominable Slumdog

Draft saved Draft deleted