1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's that we always say about being 'off the record?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 29, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Methinks Messr. Sittler is projecting his own career frustrations on his subject.

Really too bad he didn't make the big-time. He sounds like a top-flight critical thinker and a peach of a man besides.

3. Egads. Awkward to watch, because the coach is clearly uninterested in this little tête-à-tête.

Blake was a disaster at Oklahoma, so criticism of his competence is not necessarily a new opinion. The race angle is probably something the columnist would prefer not be publicly aired.

This will be interesting.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As a matter of simple etiquette, why would you ever address yourself this way to a relative stranger?

As a matter of craft, why would you think this tack would ingratiate you to a source?

Guys like this make us all look bad.

Thanks, bush.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Bill Young did a great job handling all that.

If the AD that made the hire really did tell him he hired a coach because he was black, well that's probably something worthy of discussion, but that wasn't the time or place. Why is this the first we've heard of it almost 15 years after Blake coached at OU?

I have a hard time believing Duncan would actually say that, though I don't know enough about him to really know. IF he did I could see talking to Young about it, but just after a presser with other people and potentially hot mics in the room seems like a foolish place to do it.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

The only thing I can think of is that the reporter tried to bait him. If he talks bad about a coach by calling him a slapdick and claiming that this other coach was hired because of skin color, perhaps Young (if he feels the same way) might use a few choice words of his own in talking about the situation. Fortunately, Young was too clever, smart, classy and/or uninterested to bite.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

FoxNews just got their new weekend sports anchor

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I don't think FoxNews does sports, on the weekend or during the week. And wouldn't it be FoxNews got its anchor, instead of "their"?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If he was trying to cozy up to the coach, he didn't pull that off very well.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, hayyulll, we's all good-ol' boys heah, we know how it is when you gotta work for one-a them affirmative action uppity slapdick darkeys, I feel yore pain my brothah, so tell me how it was ...

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In Sittler's defense, Blake was, and is, a slapdick. I don't know if there has been another hire who had a higher combined incompetence/sleaze factor score at the BCS level.

That said, Sittler's got to be smarter than that. Dumb, dumb, thing to say with microphones around.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Has Sittler been fired yet?

What's the over/under on punishment? An apology? Suspension? Leave? Rehab? Sensitivity training? Sacked?

Draft saved Draft deleted