1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Taxes Got To Do With It?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We're the government. Discuss.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Classic straw man argument on the salt trucks, police, fire, et al.

Those are all services of local government, which usually does nothing *but* provide the basic services that a community pools its money for (police, fire, schools, local roads, snow removal). Each community essentially has the flexibility to choose what it wants (volunteer vs. paid FD, for example, schools are run by elected boards).

If that's the necessary and proper function of government, why does 20-30% of my income go to the federal government once all taxes are added in, and only about 5% to the state and local governments combined, when they're the ones providing those services that government is actually contracted to provide? Outside of its constitutional role to run the military (and we can debate the necessity of a large standing army), much of what the federal government spends our money on is duplicitous (already a function of the states), or is just a pass through to give it back to the states with multiple strings attached. As a result, we have a very archaic and Byzantine tax code full of loopholes. As people try to exploit those loopholes, the feds close them. Folks like Tina Turner get caught in the process, having to pay *both* Swiss and U.S. income tax on her goods.

(my solution is to *eliminate* the federal income tax, replace it with a consumption tax or a VAT, shrink the fed's role down to its constitutional duty, download the rest back onto the states, and then see the investment capital that's been stashed away in offshore accounts *flock* back to the United States ... as well as the return of businesses that don't have to worry about our 35% corporate income tax rate, the highest in the Western world. We already see it domestically in the migration of high-income individuals from high-tax states to low-tax states).

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Top US corporate tax rates are as low as they've been since 1940. Discuss.*

(Including rebuttals citing 'loopholes' and globalization, etc.)

4. What federal spending is duplicitous? A small minority of politicians really want states to take over duties the national government carries out. Most who decry the national government's involvement in certain programs do not want the programs in be first place.

5. How many companies pay 35 percent?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/29/corporate-tax-rate-us-2012_n_1839693.html

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Back away?

http://world.time.com/2012/10/31/switzerland-are-its-days-as-a-tax-haven-for-foreigners-numbered/

Care to rethink those "really high taxes" for the Swiss?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The U.S. is the only country already that taxes its citizens while they live and work elsewhere. So you have to pay tax to the place you are living and you get taxed on that income all over again by the U.S. My girlfriend is a French national. She has lived and worked in the U.S. for 14 years. The French tax the hell out of their citizens... but not when they are living and working elsewhere because quite reasonably, you don't tax income derived in another country. She pays U.S. taxes. That is it.

The attitude you described is not just silliness on this thread. The U.S. not only taxes expats a second time on their income, they have made simply having a bank account where you live and filing your tax return a giant pain-- due to backward legislation that punishes people just trying to live their lives outside of the country.

So people have been handing in their passports and giving up their citizenship. I don't know why anyone would blame them -- or be so wraaped up in others' affairs. But then you had a bunch of senators using them as scapegoats -- when the laws we've passed are what drove those people away in the first place. I remember Chuck Schumer last year throwing out the populist red meat of legislation to keep taxing former citizens if they give up their citizenship.

Apparently being born a U.S. citizen is like being born to the mafia. Once you're in, you can never escape.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So tell her to give up French Citizenship and apply for US Citizenship if this all so silly.

10. The French Empire's security is guaranteed by the American Empire, and it isn't cheap to maintain.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Did you read my post or just hit reply and type something that demonstrated that once again you missed the point? I brought her up as a demonstration that people from other countries don't have to deal with their own country making their lives hell when thry live abroad--by double taxing them (only the U.S. does this to its citizens) and making it even harder to just have a bank account and making it more onerous to file your tax return. My girlfriend doesn't have to file a French income tax return because she is not living in France. But even if they did require her to--the way the U.S. does eith its citizens living abroad--do ypu understand how galling it would be that you not only are getting taxed by a place you didnt live or earn income in, but they make your taxes harder to file than for everyone else?

She is happy being French. She can become an American citizen and may choose to one day. But as it is happening right now, she doesnt feel pressed tp give up her French citizenship because her country is making her life difficult.

12. I'm guessing you miss the point that, like it or not, maintaining the American Empire isn't cheap. But, most expats can get foreign income exempted from being taxed.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion

In addition, is the University of Michigan wrong in stating the U.S. isn't the only country to tax foreign income?

http://www.bus.umich.edu/otpr/WP2007-4.pdf

Draft saved Draft deleted