1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Taxes Got To Do With It?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Jan 25, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The IRS probably has a ton to do with it. Over the past few years, a lot of Americans living overseas -- and in Switzerland, in particular -- have been handing in their passport, because our backward ass government has made their lives hell. They passed the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act in 2009. It has made it really expensive, and intrusive, for American citizens to bank in Switzerland. There have been a ton of Americans renouncing their US citizenship in Switzerland (but other places, too), and the majority of them are long-time expats -- like Tina Turner -- who just want to live their lives without the U.S. making it more difficult for them to do something as simple as have a bank account where they live. On top of the fact that a lot of banks won't deal with them now, it makes filing your U.S. taxes (and the U.S. is the only country that taxes its citizens for income they earn elsewhere, while living out of the country, in the first place) harder -- you have to file a very intrusive form laying out not just your income, but all of your assets.

She probably didn't want to deal with the BS anymore, and I am not sure why anyone would blame her.

2. As American expats benefit from the empire's projection of power around the world, shouldn't American expats help pay for the empire?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And I have no problem with my tax dollars helping them.

If you think she did all this studying and test taking just for the hell of it, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for you.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Phil Mickelson weeps.

5. 93Devil

People only want the government when they need them.

How many TEA Partiers were out on roadways this winter telling salt trucks to turn around and stop wasting our tax dollars on clearing roads?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dipshit, she hasn't lived here for 18 YEARS.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm having some trouble understanding the point here.

When people study and take tests to become American citizens, they do it because they think it will improve their lives.

So somebody decides living somewhere besides the USA! and becoming a citizen of said country will improve their life, and we're supposed to be . . . OFFENDED by this?

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

She probably didn't want to deal with the BS anymore, and I am not sure why anyone would blame her.

[/quote]

People only want the government when they need them.

How many TEA Partiers were out on roadways this winter telling salt trucks to turn around and stop wasting our tax dollars on clearing roads?
    [/quote]

What's wrong with that? I don't want the government interfering in my life if I don't need it. I only want the police when I need them. I only want the fire department when I need it. I have no desire to be dependent on the government or its services...unless I need them. Though our government wants us to believe otherwise, I still think I can make better decisions on how to spend my money than the government can.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

LOL. Perhaps the police should just wait around for your call. Unpaid of course. Until you need them.

10. 93Devil

You must have forgotten the whole Romney/foreign bank accounts thing this last election. Any chance America asking her to pay more has anything to do with her love of Swiss citizenship?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You really should step away. ...

She pays Swiss taxes. Really high taxes, actually.

In addition, she has been paying American taxes for the past 18 years -- probably several million a year. The U.S. is the only country that taxes its citizens for income earned while living outside the country. She has given a boatload of money over the years to the U.S. that she wouldn't have had to pay any other country if she was a citizen of it, because no other country taxes their citizens for money that wasn't earned there.

Her tax bill is going to go down now. But if this was primarily driven by that couple of million dollars of U.S. taxes she is paying each year, she would have done it years ago.

My educated guess is that the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act has more to do with this than anything. This has been an ongoing issue for Americans living abroad, and it's why more Americans have handed over their passports in the past 2 years than at any time.

When it was pay taxes to the U.S. and keep the U.S. passport, she might not have cared.

When it is, "Your local banks are telling you they can't afford to keep you as a customer anymore, because dealing with the U.S. has become too much of a hassle for them," and your accountant is bitching about the Form 8938 you have to file that makes your taxes a nightmare -- and you aren't even living in the country. ... it may have been the last straws, as it has been for a lot of Americans living abroad.

Look at our arcane tax code. .... or tell Tina Turner to fuck herself, because Ike beat her, because that makes perfect sense.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

What you actually mean.

Of course, your money alone can't pay for a police department, or salt trucks when it snows, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted