1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's on your floor?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Laminate flooring throughout. I can't think of a reason to have anything else if you have kids or pets.

We got middle of the road quality. Installed it myself. All you need is a cross-cut saw and jig saw (to cut around posts, floor vents, etc.). It snaps together. A monkey could install it.

Cleans up in an instant. You can use a broom, vacuum, Swiffer, whatever. It all works. And fast.

Personally, I think the "don't get it wet" warning is overblown; probably by the company to deter that one guy — and there's always someone — who will complain, want their money back or sue.

The only place(s) I wouldn't put laminate is in the washroom or basement — simply for the water worries.

If you're not flooring a basement, don't spring for the expensive plastic sheeting that goes underneath. It's not worth it.

Laminate won't scratch. It will, but it takes a lot. I can take my keys and try and scratch the shit out of it. Nothing. I've slid dressers across it. Nothing. Couches. Same thing.

Also, I spilled small amounts of latex interior paint on it. Comes right off.

Like I said, I can't think of anything else to use.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Thanks Pete. Great input.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

No prob.

One thing I forgot. The only concern is spilling something of color (usually paint) between the cracks.

And, one other thing, I prefer the narrower boards when it comes to hardwood laminate. The wider ones look too fake. That's just personal preference though.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

We have Pergo in the kitchen, living room and dining room and are quite happy with it. Not as nice as actual hardwood, but the lack of maintenance makes up for it.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

When we lived in Scottsdale, the kitchen floor was Mexican tile. Just lovely.

It made you want to cut your legs off at the knees if you were in the kitchen for more time than it took to open the refrigerator door. If you decide to go with tile, please consider an 18-inch foam rubber subfloor.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We moved into my aunt's old house about 9 months ago. Needs a lotta work. But the rent was low and part of that was "Hey, we'll fix it up some if you give us a break."

She apparently had never heard of a rug shampooer. But we took out the living room rug and found the hardwood floor was in halfway decent shape. My mom came in and applied a stain.

The other floors have hideously dirty rugs on them. But some idiot covered the hardwood floors on both of those with tile. And I don't mean nice tile. It looks like the kind if tile they use on the floors of grocery stores. And we can't remove the kitchen rug because they glued the carpet down to the tile. So we're covering up the worst of it with area rugs.

I don't know why anyone would ever put carpet down in a kitchen. My roomie thinks the stains will never come out even with a professional strength steam cleaner.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Isn't that the Swiss goalie? What's he doing in your kitchen?

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Part of a complicated scheme to help the U.S. win today.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Our house is a modified Sante Fe, and, as I mentioned, we have saltillo throughout most of it.
    I do most of the cooking and have no problem standing in there for long periods of time.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Don't bet on it.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

my pants of course.

yes, my pants are on the ground.

I got my hat turned sideways, gold in da mouth and my pants hit the floor.

Draft saved Draft deleted