1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's next? The Clash reforming minus Joe Strummer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Feb 20, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This is hardly an isolated reunion incident
    In the last 10 years..

-Misfits reunite without Glen Danzig
    -Dead Kennedys without Jello Biafra
    -Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott
    -Dead Boys without Stiv Bators
    -Judas Priest without Halford
    -MC5 without Rob Tyner and Fred Smith

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I just chuckled thinking about that video of Danzig getting his ass kicked. ;D

Punk started to suck when rockstar jackoffs like Geln Danzig started to rule the roost.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My favorites are the bands whose minor players reunite, but can't get rights to the original name, which explains Creedence Clearwater Revisited and Electric Light Orchestra, Part II.

4. writing irish

Which explains why Bruce and Rick will be touring as either "The Toast" or "The Marmalade."

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had no idea the Kennedys got back withot Jello Biafra. Was East Bay Ray in the band?

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Didn't know Priest went out without Halford.

And Lizzy--what 20 some years after Lynott died? That's just so wrong.....

"So, is this it or you gonna milk it in Europe....."

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"Rock the Casbah" (or "Lock the Cashbox" as a drunken ex-girlfriend used to warble) was one of the first songs played over the open airwaves during the liberation at Desert Storm. Drop your bombs between the minarets. Very sexual.

8. writing irish

The video shot in Texas with the little armadillo waddling along was cool, too.

But the best songs on that album weren't singles: Straight to Hell, Sean Flynn, Red Angel Dragnet with Ginsberg reciting weird shit.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Heard "Bankrobber" on XM the other day. I'm a huge Clash fan but I'd forgotten what a great fucking song that is.

10. writing irish

That song rules.

"White Man in Hammersmith Palais" and "Bankrobber" are probably the best original Clash reggae songs.

Although all the weird, dubbed stuff on "Sandinista!" sounds pretty good if you're high. Never was sure if "Sandinista!" was a triple album or an EP. It all kind of blends together.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Death or glory becomes just another story

'N' every gimmick hungry yob digging gold from rock 'n' roll
    Grabs the mike to tell us he'll die before he's sold
    But I believe in this -- and it's been tested by research
    He who fucks nuns will later join the church

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've always thought "White Man In Hammersmith Palais" was the Clash's best song.

Was no fan of Sandanista (particularly all that dub stuff) but it had enough great songs like "Police On My Back" (awesome cover of an Eddy Grant song), "Somebody Got Murdered", "Magnificent Seven" and "Hitsville UK" to be a terrific single album rather than a three-album mess.

Draft saved Draft deleted