1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's next after journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newspaperman, Dec 14, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I also work with a bunch of people who love their jobs (who happen to sell insurance) quit generalizing. Not all insurance salesman are out there trying to sell you life insurance. We actually sell policies for cool shit. Like Peopleofwalmart.com and the Hollywood Sign.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know lots of people who answer phones and sell insurance and they can make $50K a year easily. There's a huge difference between those jobs and the ones where they only pay you commission. Those are the places that call you the second your resume hits CareerBuilder. I went on one of those cattle calls.

Me: What's the base salary?
    Them: We would never limit you by paying you a base salary.
    Me: Do you offer benefits?
    Them: You can buy health benefits through us at $400 a month.

Me: You can all fuck off and die.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i went to law school. now i'm entering my fourth year of practicing law and life is pretty good. i definitely miss the rush of covering a game on deadline and having a job that was kind of cool to talk about but i view it as just another chapter of my life. hey, i'm 37 and if i think about it, i miss my college years, but life marches on.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Coffee machine repairman?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boom goes the dynamite.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I felt the shock wave all the way down here.

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Motivational speaker.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sounds like he's laughing all the way to the bank and he's his own boss.

Why some seem intent on mocking the guy is beyond me.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They left out espresso machines. That's where the money is.

How many threads have we seen on this board from people looking for a career change?

But I post a thread giving step by step instructions on how to do it and it gets mocked. Jokes on them.

I don't care if anyone here decides to fix coffee & espresso machines, but if it helps one person, it's worth it. And, I hope it inspires some people to think about the steps they can take to change their circumstances.

If you want a career change, you need to be proactive -- and sometimes even take a step backwards. It's not going to just happen.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Don't knock insurance. The greatest Modernist poet in America worked in the insurance business most of his adult life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Stevens

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Insurance -- at least retail insurance -- is a long term gig.

You make a little bit off of each policy, but you make a little bit off of every one, every year.

So, at first, you don't make much, but if you can build up a large enough client base over time, you can make very good money.

If you're really intent on breaking into it, try to find an independent broker who's looking to retire in a few years. Work for him/her and buy his business when he retires.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Move to western North Dakota and work in the oil fields.

In all seriousness, I wish health care reform led to true portability. If the U.S. used a single-payer system, would that lead to more entrepreneurship? I'm sure many people would like to start their own business, but they don't want to give up or pay through the nose for health insurance.

Draft saved Draft deleted