1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Middle Class in Manhattan?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bars stay open until 4 a.m. Unless you were working an actual night shift (in which case, your statement would be true in any city), I don't believe this. I think you were a wuss who needed beauty rest and didn't want to stay out drinking until five hours before the start of business the next day.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You went home to Washington Heights, and then went back out downtown? Hey, more power to you.

For me, it was probably a little bit of both. Regularly worked late, and was basically talking about going out during the week, not a Friday.

Sure, but if you're in the office early, closing the bar at 4:00AM when you have 2 hour round trip commute isn't going to happen much.

And, when you're getting off of work at 8:00PM even, the idea of a two hour round trip just to change your clothes doesn't make much sense. Even if you wanted to, no one else would likely want to, so you'd miss the first two hours of drinking.

Just look around. You won't find any with a larger percentage of guys out in a suit as in NYC. D.C. might come close, but it won't top NYC.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Going home after work in D.C. involves driving for most people who wear suits to work.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My door to door commute on the subway was about 30 minutes, so not too bad. If people were going out for happy hour or planned to start drinking around 7 or so then I'd stay down there, but if we didn't have plans until 9 or later then I didn't mind. I was usually out of the office by 530/6, though, so even on nights where I was going to a concert at like Webster Hall at 8, I could run up to my place and change and grab dinner if I wanted. I could see it being an issue if most of your friends were getting done around 8 or later. Most of my friends there finish up work by 6 or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted