1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Middle Class in Manhattan?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 20, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is there a middle class left in Manhattan?

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There's so so so much more to New York City than Manhattan. As I'm sure the comments section will take care of pointing out!

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was interested in a job that paid more than I'd ever made in my life. I looked for housing, even in Brooklyn, and realized I'd have to be in a 500 sf walkup and would have to eat pasta every night with butter just to pay the bills.

4. What's wrong with Paterson?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Harlem is still the best bargain in Manhattan.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Middle class is middle class is middle class. If someone chooses to live in Manhattan, that's no different a choice than it would be for me to buy a boat and say I'm having trouble paying the insurance.

That's just because people like to exaggerate how put upon they are. It makes them feel like they're working harder or more in touch with the common man.

7. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

If you have to ask, then you cant afford it.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When I lived (briefly) in New York in 1984, I lived in Flushing near the end of the 7 line. My midwestern sensibilities were stunned when I got there and went to grab a fish sandwich at McDonald's and saw it was about twice what a McDonald's fish sandwich (sorry, Filet O' Fish) cost back in the home town.

What we said back then was "New York is a young man's town and a rich man's town, but young and rich rarely intersect unless you're born to it.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

And don't forget about the Old. Their road isn't paved.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The even in Brooklyn part. ... might have been the problem.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10000872396390443570904577547231942958966.html

That story caught my attention last year.

Parts of Manhattan have actually been getting a bit less expensive, while most of Brooklyn has been getting more expensive. It's to the point that a lot of people who moved to Brooklyn 10 years ago are now moving back into Manhattan, because you can find relatively (and it is relative -- people outside of NYC wouldn't get it) reasonable rents on the Upper East Side.

In Brooklyn, DUMBO, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights were already really expensive, with Cobble Hill right behind. But Williamsburg has fully caught up. And Boerum Hill, the downtown area, Carroll Gardens, even Red Hook, and a bunch of other neighborhoods have seen their rental prices go way up as people have gotten squeezed out of other areas.

There are still pockets in Queens where you can get more reasonable rents. Brooklyn is too hip and too close. The place to look now might be the Bronx.

As for the whole middle class thing, you can earn what sounds like F U money to a lot of people on here, and not be living quite the life people who are not from here assume. If there is a middle class here, I am probably it. But I have often said I feel like there is no middle class. There are uberwealthy people (way more of them in Manhattan and Brooklyn) and struggling people (way more of them in Queens and the Bronx). I guess stuck in between are people who scrap by in Manhattan and Brooklyn, earning OK money but still scraping by. You see it in the housing that has been built in Manhattan in the last two decades. There were luxury buildings sprouting up all over the place. But no housing for regular people.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wow you are middle class? Wake up. Can you pay your bills, save some loot and take a nice three-week vacation to a place where you have never been and don't know anyone? If you are fortunate to be in such a position, I might put you at middle class. I've said it before and I'll say it again, NYC is a place where you can make six figures and still be broke.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not since the last real estate boom.

Comparatively, Inwood and Washington Heights - far to the north - are the last "bargains" uptown.

Draft saved Draft deleted