1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's in your Netflix queue?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Aug 10, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I just received Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and The Backyardigans: Polka Party ... a double dipping of Little Man selections.

But in my queue, coming up, are some really exciting choices:
    * Gladiator (never seen it, believe it or not)
    * Little Children (good book, and Kate Winslett's never a bad choice)
    * Night at the Museum (for me and Little Man)
    * The Girl Who Shagged Me (B-queen Misty Mundae, funny stuff)
    * The OH in Ohio
    * He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
    * The Road to El Dorado
    and
    * Secretary (mmm...Maggie)

There are close to 130 entries right now, but it's been fun working my way down the list.

2. You really should look into Blockbuster online if you have a Blockbuster within driving distance of your house.
    The que works the same, but when you are done with the movies, you take them into the store and exchange them for a free rental. They scan them, so the warehouse knows you have returned it even before they receive it.
    Thus you get more movies and they come faster than with Netflix.
    Of course, the bastards are changing their plans so that you have to pay a few dollars extra to get unlimited in-store returns in a month, but per movie, it's still a WAY better deal than Netflix.
    I've been pretty happy with it since I switched.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'll give that thought. I just don't like Blockbuster's selection, especially when it comes to lesser-known movies.

4. I admit that I'm not a guy who spends a lot of time watching little-know indy films, but I haven't yet found one that I wanted to see that Blockbuster Online didn't have.
    Of course, the selection will get better with time as well.

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

My queue has gotten too long...I had to delete some movies to add new ones :-[

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I try to get mine up to 10 at the end of each month. It now contains a few films ("Goodfellas", which I've never seen all of), TV series (I'm working my way through "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and French & Saunders, which is hysterical if you love British comedy), the occasional odd sports DVD (NFL Films' Super Bowl series and some old bowl games), and some music documentaries (Velvet Underground, Pixies, Clash).

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I would say roughly 60 percent of my Blockbuster queue is non-mainstream movies. Including a bunch of shit I've never even heard of, but the descriptions sound amazing.

And they're right. I pay $9.99 a month, which gets me one movie at a time, but unlimited for the month. So if one comes in the mail on Monday, I watch it that night, take it back Tuesday afternoon to the store, walk out with another one (that I get to keep for a week), and by the time that one's done, I have another one in my mail from Blockbuster. Lather, rinse, repeat.

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

"Secretary" is pretty interesting. And pretty hot.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Secretary is awesome.

Four peas.

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

If you need any more convincing to see it: http://www.impawards.com/2002/secretary.html

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"Secretary" and "Crash" (the David Cronenberg one) must be seen together as a twin bill. I can understand why Mrs. Terrier hated both these movies with the fire of a thousand suns - I can easily see Holly Hunter crawling around on all fours, or Maggie Gyllenhaal rocking some prostheses
    To think Spader used to be her big-screen boyfriend.

12. Both films are high on the "James Spader is a sexual deviant" evidence list. Add to that the blow job he got from Robert Downey, Jr. in Less Than Zero and you have a pretty strong case.

Draft saved Draft deleted