1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's in your chili?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Feb 8, 2010.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I made a batch last night. I use a kit (parts of a kit), as it has basically the same things I would use anyway, and I don't have to worry about forgetting an ingredient. Add three or four differnet kinds of beans, corn, onion, pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste, fresh garlic, beer and/or white wine. Nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done.

One thing I do insist on is making my own tortilla chips. I take corn tortillas, slice it in eights and cook them in a deep fryer. Garnish with sea salt and some lime juice.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Definitely not a dollar. I think regular price is 59 cents here.

3. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Chili should be made differently every time. No such thing as a perfect bowl of chili and no such thing as a bad bowl of chili.

4. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Many of you beat me to this one. well-played, ggc. one of the best episodes ever.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Beans is cheatin'

6. Scouter

Scouter Member

At least once a year, I like to bring in some of my Scouter's Famous Chili. The trick is to undercook the onions. Everybody is going to get to know each other in the pot. I'm serious about this stuff. I'm up the night before pressing garlic and dicing whole tomatoes. I toast my own Ancho chilies. It's a recipe passed down from Scouters for generations. It's probably the thing I do best.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

But the kit is perfectly legit? I really thought I'd take more heat over the kit than over beans. In reality, I'm not a bean person, except when I make chili.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a good recipe for Cincinnati-style chili? I've only ever had it the three times I've been to Cincinnati and went to Skyline, but it's not so good that I'm driving 12 hours to get some, either.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I like to mix it up once in a while with a white bean and chicken/turkey chili, tossing in a little cilantro.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

One of my relatives makes chili with sauce so thin, I'd swear it's just beans, meat and ketchup diluted with water.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's like saying 'stuff.'
    You've got to be more specific than that.

12. bwright

bwright Member

I think that was Kleeda's intention.

Draft saved Draft deleted