1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's in a name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Sep 25, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

OK, it refers to the "historic region" ... Maybe you should read it again. Or drink less coffee. You might be less outraged, but I doubt it.

http://wapo.st/1pf0k8i

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'll give you one more try Dummy.

The issue isn't with the name of the region.

3. YankeeFan

Have you discovered your mistake, or have you given up?

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I've given up trying to figure out what the fuck your major malfunction is and I'm not in the mood for this today.

5. YankeeFan

OK. I'll spell it out for you.

You wrote this:

So, you think that I either didn't read the article I linked to, or didn't understand it.

But, we know this group is operating in Syria, right? That was the news. We bombed this group in Syria. This is "the region the cell is operating in". Right?

Is Khorasan a "historic region" in Syria?

No. It's a name from the region where they are from, not where they are.

Try to get the story straight before you call me a dummy, and accuse me of getting it wrong.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

OK, good for you. I was wrong. But there is still a REASON it is called this. It's not just some random moniker pulled out of their asses. And so are we going to get to the part where you tell us what we should be outraged about? The group is referred to repeatedly as al Qaeda affiliated or an al Qaeda cell. My chief fucking point is that this media conspiracy you are dreaming up simply does not exist.

7. YankeeFan

Are you going to fill me in on all of the other terror groups that have been named by the government?

(Though, you are right about one thing. The military does give names to mission all the time. BTW, what's the name of this mission?)

8. YankeeFan

Yes. You were.

It's still a random reason. Why did they need a separate name? They're Al Qeda, right?

Have I expressed outrage? I've asked -- journalists -- why they haven't questioned the use of this made up name, and why the administration felt the need to give this Al Qaeda cell a name of their choosing.

It's no a media conspiracy. It's a media complacency.

Yes, the better news organizations spelled out the relationship to Al Qaeda. They had to, or no one would understand who the fuck they are.

But, I keep hearing news folks say that we bombed a group that "most people" hadn't previously heard of.

Most people? No one had heard of the Khorasan Group. The name didn't exist until the administration gave it to them.

This is an effort to avoid calling them Al Qaeda. It's transparent.

The media should call them on this, and not simply go along with this misnaming for convenience sake.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You said it yourself. "The better news organizations ..." This is all that fucking matters to me. Who fucking cares what the millions of faux news organizations are doing? No different than the blogs/faux news organizations making a big deal out of how it got the name. I'm done with you for today. I just don't care that much.

10. YankeeFan

Even the better news orgs are still calling it the Khorasan Group. They're just taking the extra time to explain who they are.

The Times and Post are calling the Islamic State the name that the group calls itself, even thought the administration calls it ISIL. Here too they take the time to explain that it's the same group that the administration is referring to.

So, they don't always follow the administrations lead. Why are they here? And, why has no one asked the administration why they are pretending this group is anything other than Al Qaeda?

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

What the fuck is up your ass all the time, dude?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted