1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's happening to that "consensus" on global warming?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Dec 21, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I offended you, JR. You do yourself proud, as always.

2. I meant the minority report was hilarious. It's like they don't think people can/will read.
    Ragu's Ragu. He posts long. I don't have a problem with it, although, Rags, you did sort of paraphrase the Surowiecki story in such a way that Obama looks worse than he did in the story. (There's nothing in the piece about his being rewarded for running the ethanol ball.) And if you don't think all the Bushes are in it up to their eyeballs with the sugar barons, you're fooling yourself.

3. The Big Ragu

Zeke. Yup, I was responding to FHB's post. He said if Brazil could figure it out, we should be able to. I tried to explain why that is. It's a message board. Amazingly people make posts on message boards. But my posts don't meet JR's criteria as acceptable. And he really thinks he's earned the right to comment condescendingly. Either that, or he bathes in smugness and he can't help being nasty. Thanks for YOUR understanding.

4. Of all the SportsJournalists.com tropes, the one I'd most like to see disappear is the "you think you're so smart/you're condescending to us, you nasty elitist you." Jeebus, JR said he thinks you post too long for a message board. He's not alone. I don't care. Let a thousand flowers bloom. But take your passive-aggression elsewhere.

5. SigR

SigR Member

In An Inconvenient Truth, Gore's documentary about global warming, he repeatedly draws parallels among his son being nearly killed after being hit by a car, his lost position as rightful president of the united states, and of global warming itself. The documentary pandered to emotions as strongly as it did to science. To regard Gore, or anyone who makes a career out of telling half-truths in order to advance a secondary agenda, as anything more than tricksy is giving far too much credit to that which comes from the puppet's mouth.

In my jaded estimation, the majority of those who crave political power--be it the POTUS or a seat on the school board--sold their soul a long time ago and ought to be treated as if they had.

6. The Big Ragu

Oh yeah. Surowiecki was just commenting on the economics of it... How absurd it all is. He didn't single out Obama. But Obama was at the heart of saving that tariff. He's getting some good lobbyist money for it, too. He's no different than any other Senator or Congressman running for president, though, which is why I just shake my head more than condemn him as worse than the others. You don't raise the money and get to that level of politics without being some kind of whore. This is just one of the areas where you can catch Obama's hand conspicuously in the cookie jar. If you look at the other candidates--Republicans and Democrats--you find the industries they are getting greased by, and how they are rewarding them with legislation.

And as long-winded as I might be in some posts, I'd love for JR to post with half the substance that post contained and do it more succinctly. It is a complicated topic to explain on a message board and give it its due.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ragu, you're absolutely right about ethanol in this country being a boondoggle -- though, as Fenian suggested, I don't think Obama is any worse than most when it comes to the issue, especially given that he's got plenty of Illinois farmers making money there as well as Iowa primary voters to worry about -- and here is one more tidbit for you.

The smarter ethanol plants are getting subsidized by the Japanese government as well, by selling the byproduct -- essentially the outer shell of the corn kernel -- to Japanese cattle farmers as feed. Turns out, what's left of the corn after we make ethanol out of it is still better than anything they can grow in Japan to feed cows.

US gov't. money comes in the front door, then Japanese gov't. money comes in the back. Nice work if you can get it.

8. The Big Ragu

FB, It gets old when someone follows you around and gratuitously puts you down when you attempt to make serious posts in response to other specific posts. I wasn't addressing JR. I was addressing FHB. And my post was to FHB's point. JR had no reason to weigh in, other than to try to put me down. He hasn't earned the right to put me down. I'm sorry I get fed up by it. Most people would. You're calling ME passive aggressive? When was the last time I gratuitously sought out a JR post, ignored the substance of what he posted, and gratuitously insulted him? Feel free to use the search function.

9. There's nothing in the piece about Obama's "hand in the cookie jar." There isn't even a hint of a quid pro quo. Corn-based ethanol's just one of those issues where, as zeke points out, midwestern farm state senators are pretty much stuck. zeke's knowledge of cow-based politics is starting to scare me a little.
    And Ragu, he didn't insult YOU. He insulted the length of your posts, which can be prodigious. Lordy.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just shrug it off, Ragu. The main reason JR and Fenian don't like the length of your posts is their lips get tired.

11. Some gubba-gubba from a guy who didn't read what he posted at all.

12. The Big Ragu

Whatever. Maybe I should take to critiquing his posting style. Of course it would be too easy, and I'm not enough of an asshole. Sorry he can't keep up in fact-based debates and his feebleness on those threads frustrates him. You have to look at it as a third-grader would, but I guess it's understandable that he spills his pettiness onto other threads and resorts to that horse-shit in the most gratuitous and unnecessary ways possible. He's the TV pundit who shouts people down, rather than engaging them--because he has nothing. As I said, he does himself proud.

Draft saved Draft deleted