1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's happening to that "consensus" on global warming?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Dec 21, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport

Another lie of the left being debunked.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: What's happening to that "concensus" on global warming?

All is well. Huzzah to the minority members of the Committee of Environment and Public Works for making the world safe from global warming!

3. old_tony

Sorry. Was being fixed as you posted.

Nothing else to say?

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I was wondering why this sounded like something written at the Drudge Report. Then I looked at the URL: Minority.SenateReport. Interesting.

More importantly though and something that's bugged me for a long time, why should this even be a political issue? What's wrong with trying to form alternative fuels, cutting oil consumption?

5. old_tony

Nothing at all. But doing counter-productive things because a bunch of idiots are pointing a gun at your head is really stupid.

Example: Ethanol uses more energy being produced than it saves in its use and also has driven the price of corn (a major food item) much higher.

The consensus of global warming is a lie. Always was a lie. But it was a necessary lie for people who couldn't argue on the facts.

6. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Yes, the ethanol thing is something of a scam. I think that's being used as a way to placate certain groups.

Honestly whether there is a consensus on global warming doesn't matter to me. The changes people make based on the possibility of global warming are good, whether the threat is as tremendous as Al Gore says, or as minimal as this report says.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ethanol has proven to not be the solution, except to a bunch of hicks in Iowa who hold presidential candidates and their early momentum hostage over it. But if Brazil can find something that IS the solution for them, surely we can too.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What a piece of shit that is.

It's a strawman.

Nice try, though, tony.

9. SigR

SigR Member

That the general public was duped by a politician on an environmentalist/nwo crusade is understandable. The general public is gullible and easily swindled by such things. What's concerned me all along with the global warming debate is that more scientists don't step up, no matter what their views, and scream from the top of their lungs that the global warming scare is *not* undergoing the full scrutiny of the scientific method. It is fear, hyperbole, and political manevuring.

It may well be that humans are having a scientifically significant impact on global warming, but Al Gore is a politician and should be regarded as such. Environmentalists are environmentalists, the media is the media. A lot of agendas mixed in there that are counter to good science.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So a politician can't be taken seriously about anything under any circumstances? That's one jaded outlook you have there. Also, Gore is no longer a politician. His political career ended the day SCOTUS awarded the Presidency to Fredo.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

A poster who often claims that Al Gore and other global warming believers "have an agenda" posts something from ... the Republicans on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

Wonderful. I'm sure their motives are as pure as snow.

And by the way, nobody claimed that global-warming opinion was unanimous. It's still very much a "consensus," and to make it otherwise, you're going to have to find a lot more than 400 "prominent scientists" -- and I'd love to know how the Senate GOP defines that term -- to disagree.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yeah, you would think, wouldn't you? Hard to imagine Brazil pulling off something like that yet we can't.

Draft saved Draft deleted