1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's happened to defense in college football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Now you're just being a dick.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No I'm really asking -- it was great that they threw the ball so much and won the BCS championship but the coaches are idiots because they threw it too much Saturday?

3. Steak Snabler

It worked one time in one game. Alabama had tried to establish the run vs. LSU in the November 2011 meeting, and it didn't work. The second time around, they went against tendency and it worked, on that night against that opponent.

But as we've discussed, the pass-first mentality had nearly cost Alabama this year's LSU game. They should have learned their lesson and gone back to doing what they did best against A&M, whose defense is good, but not in LSU's class.

That's the difference.

4. LongTimeListener

No, the difference is that they won one of the games and they lost the other. So when they win, the coaches are doing what everyone knows they should do, and when they lose the coaches are idiots.

It's something I've come to love about Bama fans. All fans, really, but Bama fans are better than anyone else.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Played into A & M hands of wanting to go up tempo. Alabama usually prefers to pound the ball and control the clock.

Sure they threw against LSU but the element of surprise was working for them then.

A&M had a had a big and fast D line which seemed to give the vaunted Alabama line trouble. Perhaps that played into play calling decisions.

6. Steak Snabler

So how are you not being a dick?

7. LongTimeListener

I would never say I'm not being a dick.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. You have to adjust to the team you're playing at the moment. You have to make more adjustments at halftime. Besides, the Alabama team on Saturday is not the same Alabama team from January. Different players, different OCs. Can't do the exact same thing every game.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Clock stopping on incomplete passes and out-of-bounds runs has been standard for 100 years.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And The Alabama team in January had 5 -6 weeks to plan for LSU game.

Draft saved Draft deleted