1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's happened to cartoons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 7, 2008.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

To the fellow Tom and Jerry fans...

There are currently tons of T&J cartoons on Comcast OnDemand. Just click on "Kids" in the main menu of OnDeamand and then "Cartoon Network."

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Cartoons today, especially the ones on Nickelodeon, are created for those with severe ADHD. There's no other excuse for how off-the-wall and random they are. I tried to watch The Fairly Odd Parents (I think that's the name) and could barely make it through the episode. I was completely lost.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Fixed.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Comedy and sarcasm? Simpsons, South Park and Stewie. That's what you've got.

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I keep "Long-Haired Hare" on my cell's memory card (y'know, the opera one with Giovanni Jones...my absolute favorite) just to remind me what great Looney Tunes look like.

If you don't get Boomerang and you need a Warner Bros. fix, there are Bugs Bunny cartoons all over YouTube.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I believe it's the only show in which Elmer Fudd actually gets to 'kill' Bugs Bunny.

There's one other episode in which Bugs plays an actor, and the cartoonist keeps screwing around with him. At the end, Elmer appears and says, "I finally got even with that screwy wabbit!" (There's also a Bugs/cartoonist vs. Daffy/actor one too).

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I started laughing at the thought of Jerry playing the finale of (yes you are right) Hungarian Rhapsody.

My kids love Tom and Jerry. There's one episode when Spike is chasing Tom around the backyard while Tom keeps pausing to mack on the female cat. Then he starts to blindly kiss her and talk romatically ...

"(sigh) I love you. You set my soul on fire! It is not a little spark ... but a flame. A big ROARING flame. I can feel it now ..."

It's Spike he's talking to.

Nothing will ever top Marvin the Martian, however.

Let's see who can get this trivia question right: Why did Marvin the Martian want to blow up Earth so bad?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but not exactly stuff for the little ones.

My little one is always wanting to see Family Guy. If we flip by it, she just sees the baby and the dog talking. No way I would let her watch it, though.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It blocks his view of Venus.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wouldn't let an 8-year-old watch Family Guy, either.

You've got some slick stuff essentially for adults, and pablum for the rest. Tough go.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Love the song Tom sings at the beginning of that one.
    "Is you is, or is you ain't my baby? The way you acting lately brings me down. Is youuuuuu, my baby baby..."

12. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

My favorite fringe Looney Tunes character was Pete Puma.

Classic lines:

Bugs: Oh, Mrs. Rabbit, do stay for tea!

Pete (dressed up like rabbit's mom): Ohh, I don't have time for tea ...

Bugs: Sure ya do. Sugar? How many lumps to you want?

Pete: Ohh, give me three or four.

And Bugs blasts him over the head with a mallet.

I went to the Warner Bros. store in New York when I was in high school and was searching through the T-shirts when I found "Pete Puma's House O' Java -- How many lumps do ya want? We'll give ya three or four."

Bought the T-shirt instantly. Didn't care that it was a size too small.

Draft saved Draft deleted