1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's happened to cartoons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 7, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They DID? Seriously?

Lord.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

They did indeed. It was awful. At some point in the '60s or '70s, it seemed like the Looney Toon people took over production of Tom & Jerry and it turned awful. Everything related to the franchise from then on has been hideous.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I think Saturday morning TV went downhill as soon as (sorry Mike) "Saved By The Bell" debuted.

Cartoons will always reflect the times, and be viewed differently by later generations. In 20-30 years, today's kids will look at the next wave of cartoons with similar distaste.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

They even gave them bowties. Tom had blue, while Jerry had red. Then, they did away with Tom's bowtie, while Jerry still wore his.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

One of the greatest Tom and Jerry cartoons ever was the Piano Concerto. That piano piece (Franz Lizst was it?) is awesome.

Like my grandpa used to say when he watched cartoons with us, "Time to get my education."

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Funny, a couple of years ago, during a sidewalk stroll the theatre was showing some old Looney Tunes. The two little QTs (4 and 6) objected then proceeded to have a laugh fest for the next 30 mins. They absolutely loved the slapstick; dynamite blowing up, hammer to the head, etc.

Now, on road trips, first thing into the DVD is Tom and Jerry's Great Escapes. They also enjoy Scooby-Doo.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Outside of Warner Brothers, which owns the genre, historically, the T&J's dreamt up by Hanna/Barbara when they were doing time at MGM were tough to beat.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I want to say the song was Hungarian Rhapsody, but man I'm not sure. I actually had a CD called Classics in Cartoons, which featured numerous classical pieces featured in animated pieces. Anvil Chorus, Barber of Seville, etc. That one song, though, where Jerry keeps playing the finale over and over while Tom struggles to keep up is one of the greatest of all time.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The last great televised cartoon that was aimed primarily at children is Nickelodeon's Hey Arnold and that debuted in 1996. The state of cartoons is currently at an all-time low. Nickelodeon, the Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network keep throwing shit against the wall and hoping it sticks. In fact, the only company doing anything right in the animation genre is Pixar and they make computer animated movies.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Kill the Wabbit.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why do you wanna kill the wabbit?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That cartoon had one of the greatest set of lines ever sung/uttered by Bugs Bunny...

"Oh mighty warrior of great fighting stock. Might I inquires as to, eh, what's up doc?"

Draft saved Draft deleted