1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's happened to cartoons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 7, 2008.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

So there I was last Saturday morning, reading the paper while the kids watched cartoons. Still a zombie since I had not my coffee yet, I started staring at the TV, where some mindless cartoon was on.

It was crap. It's like cartoons these days are about being gross to try to be funny. Even SpongeBob. I don't really find SpongeBob that good. I mean, it's OK, but what happened to good ol' highjinx?

Tom and Jerry ... Woody Woodpecker ... Pink Panther ... Popeye ... and of course, Looney Toons. I still watch those on DVD or Boomerang or Tom and Jerry at noon every day, and even ones I've seen dozens of times are hilarious. Classic stuff.

I guess I'm getting old. They just don't make 'em like they used to and it makes me sad.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

He-Man, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Thundercats ...

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

However, look at it this way: if someone today introduced a cartoon starring a cross-dressing, wise-cracking, narcisstic rabbit with serious gender issues, the loonies like James Dobson would be all over it.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone want to jump in the Wayback Machine

[​IMG]

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dudley Do-Right was the MAN.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't know if you've seen any of the Tom & Jerry or Looney Toons cartoons on DVD lately, but they all carry little disclaimers or opening montages by Whoopi Goldberg or someone else reminding us that hey, while the cartoons from those days were great, they did carry a lot of very bad and outdated representations of women, ethnic groups, etc. Then the hilarity of the original cartoons, uncut, ensues.

That being said, SpongeBob and Fairly Odd Parents are freaking hilarious. I actually found myself watching SpongeBob and Little Man WASN'T EVEN THERE.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think part of this is just an attachment to the cartoons we grew up with, but I have to agree that some of the ones little Miss OOP watches are utter crap. I don't see the appeal of Spongebob, but I don't see the harm in it. I would rather her watch something like that than Elmer Fudd shooting Daffy Duck in the face (though I find the latter to be far funnier).

Alley is right. There really were some offensive things in those old cartoons.

That said, we normally don't get Boomerang, but we had it over the weekend. My daughter LOVED Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo and had no interest in the stuff she usually watches given the choice.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Little Man LOVES the original Tom & Jerry collection I've bought for him. In the words of Clockwork Orange, there's always time for a little of the old ultraviolence.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I watched Tom and Jerry AND Pinky and the Brain this morning... love them both, always will..
    There is no finer scream in all of cartoondom than when Tom gets hit ...

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That is absolutely true. I always wondered who did that scream. Better than the Wilhelm Scream.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

My daughter already knows the difference between the old Tom and Jerry cartoons and the 1980s remake where the two were friends. She can't stand the newer ones.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In the 1970s, they made Tom and Jerry into pals. Major suckitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted