1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's going to happen to Penn State football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 10, 2011.

1. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

3) Nearly-impeccable personal reputation, although the suicide of his son would certainly be dug up and chewed over. Of course any coaching candidate now at PSU will undergo a background check which will make your head spin; if you stole a pack of gum when you were 11 years old, it's going to come out.

Not only that but every one of his assistants will have to go through a background check as if they were going to be a top official in the CIA.

I'm sure there will be all kinds of stipulations and a full third of the coaches salary should go to a victims fund. Hopefully Paterno is already starting one.

2. sportbook

sportbook Member

Agreed, and I think this may be the only job that would get him back to coaching.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw Bradley's "We're going to win this for Joe." comment... I think it's safe to say it won't be him.

Schiano and Golden were mentioned on ESPN.

Anybody who thinks Dungy would consider this job is smoking some rock.

4. Mizzougrad96

Maybe they'll hire McQueary. :D

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why would the salary of a coach with no connection to the scandal go to the victim's fund? If said coach wanted to donate on his own, fine, but the school is the one liable here, not some guy they bring in after the fact.
    PS: Religious, even humble religious people have egos, too, and Dungy might actually be willing to do this.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Golden would go from one shitshow to another?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The main library on campus is the Joe and Sue Paterno Library.

Not sure what else, but I'd say the library is the most prominent non-athletic building on any campus.

8. Mizzougrad96

Wasn't it during the 1980s that he got some million-dollar grant and he gave it to the library? I remember it being before the national championship game against Miami, but I could be wrong.

9. derwood

derwood Active Member

If they can find a good AD they will be OK.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dungy is already involved in a lot of charity work, his credentials there are outstanding.

One of his more publicized interests is Big Brothers/Big Sisters.

Yes, a group with a purpose very much similar to The Second Mile.

Presuming a full investigation concludes his involvement is completely legitimate and genuine, that would actually be a very very good thing.

One of the true tragedies of the whole Sandusky situation is that there is a real need for organizations like Second Mile, to reach out to kids in need, and there are many (the vast majority) that do tremendous legitimate work in that area and still deserve support.

Besides the tragedy of Sandusky's own victims, other victims of this whole disaster will be kids who could be helped by such organizations who now may lose out due to blanket suspicion thrown upon all of them. High-profile people supporting groups who DO it right could help repair some of that damage.

11. derwood

derwood Active Member

Next coach will be Mike Shula type. Clean it up and get it ready for the next guy.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'd ask you to explain why shutting this program down for a season is such a bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted