1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's going to happen to Penn State football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 10, 2011.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. They should shut down the entire university, too! Maybe even the town!

Oy.

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I think the worst thing they can do though is pay an exorbitant salary to whoever they hire. This may eliminate an Urban Meyer type.

If they do higher a high-profile coach and pay him say $3 million per year, they are absolutely sending the wrong message about where their priorities lie.

I also agree Penn State should not hire a coach who has ties to Paterno or Sandusky or the recent administration.

Maybe there is a great coach in Finland or something who has never heard of Penn State?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What about Ty Willingham?

Not a great coach, but impeccable character guy.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Baylor basketball has rebounded pretty well.

I don't know that the new coach can't have ties to Paterno. This is a place that has had two coaches since 1950.

I'd let Bradley run with it. If he does well, great. If he crashes and burns, he'll at least put some distance between the school and the scandal and Paterno and in three years or so they can hire a big name.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah. Maybe PSU can hire Jim Tressel.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dennis Franchione and Terry Bowden just powered up their cell phones.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bill Cowher. Pa guy but no Penn State ties.

8. kickoff-time

Bradley has been on staff for 33 years. Sorry that is exactly the wrong move. I think if you are really serious about putting the school above athletics and retaining any shred of integrity, the entire staff is gone after this season. Keeping Bradley there says nothing has changed.

9. Mizzougrad96

They should hire Bobby Bowden so he can break JoePa's records. :D

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Terry Bowden. LOL

11. kickoff-time

This probably belongs on another thread, but how is McQueary still coaching?

To me his testimony is the one I'm most eager to hear. What does he have on Paterno or Sandusky or whoever that he has been able to stay, or better yet, wanted to stay on staff knowing what he knows?

I imagine at least once he has had to run across Sandusky somewhere on campus or in town. State College is not that big. How does he not give him a forearm shiver or lay him out flat?

12. Mizzougrad96

Maybe. The fear that Bradley might know something would always be there.

Draft saved Draft deleted