1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's going on? The 4 Non Blondes?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Oct 16, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Guns N’ Roses’ ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’ Becomes First ’80s Music Video to Hit 1 Billion YouTube Views

“Sweet Child O’ Mine,” Guns N Roses’ smash single from 1987, has joined YouTube’s billion views club. It is not only the first music video from the ’80s to pass that landmark, the band is now the top artist of both the ’80s and ’90s on the platform

The band’s top ’90s song is “November Rain,” which is also the first and only music video from its decade to pass the billion-views mark.

1990s

Uh, WTF? I mean, fine song and all. Great for a sing-along. But holy hell, that is some rarefied air for that song to be in. If you'd given me 100 guesses, I would not have come up with that as a top 5 for the decade. Probably wouldn't have thought of Zombie, either.

Wasn't that a one-hit wonder, too, for the 4 Non Blondes?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They gotta play something in Gitmo.

My first thought might have been popular with meme makers - my other thought is that they only have the one version of the song on YouTube so all the plays are from the same entry instead of scattered around 12 or 13 submissions of the same song.

Captain_Kirk, Batman and sgreenwell like this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Dark. I love it.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Minor point of order: Sweet Child o' Mine may have been cut in 1987, but it didn't chart until the summer of 1988 and didn't peak until fall.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Beep beep beep: Nerd alert. Repeat, nerd alert.

I keed.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"What's Up" was a massive hit in the rest of the world. Much bigger than it was here.

Still surprising that it came in top 5, but that's why.

Draft saved Draft deleted