1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's going on at Sun Times?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chest Rockwell, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell New Member

Photo staff gutted. So, too, the Bears beat?

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-sports-media-watch/2013/05/bears-sean-jensen-sun-times-642/

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Following the links, there was an interesting prior tweet before the Jensen move. Neil Hayes is leaving his spot as Northwestern beat writer to be an on-set consultant for the movie based on the book he wrote about De La Salle, the Bay Area football powerhouse that had the nation's longest winning streak.

Sounds like that was a more amicable departure than Jensen's.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jensen would be a no-brainer for that USA Today NFL opening.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I state the obvious but the Sun-Times is in a deep financial hole.

Somebody who is closer to the situation can provide a better description but I know that in about 2007-2008 it was a public company and strangely, had a lot of cash in the bank, but was burning through immense amounts because of operating losses. A local group then bought it out and took it private. The last five years can not have been kind. The building has been sold off and I don't know how much they have left to sell. The photographers going may be the last act before closure.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wasn't the editor cited in some of that stuff, Chris De Luca, their baseball columnist about a minute and a half ago? Now he's deputy ME for news and sports. Good for a sports guy's rise, I suppose, but that is some shorty management tree to climb so high so fast.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Was De Luca an assistant sports editor in San Diego way back when?

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Well, a picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. awriter

awriter Active Member

Yes, he was their baseball writer for awhile. Then, he became sports editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted