1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's for supper tonight?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Oct 4, 2006.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My old ME used to like to cook for the guys that worked at night. A lot of them were 20-something single guys who ate at Buffalo Wild Wings and McD's 95% of the time. He would make meatloaf sandwiches for us a lot...so damn good.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I love meatloaf, too. Had been craving it. I changed up the recipe a little, using shallots instead of onions and half and half instead of milk because that's what I had. And I cover with a sauce of ketchup, mustard and brown sugar mixed together. Tastes great!

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to brag for a minute. I created a seafood dish tonight for which I'd drive an hour and pay 50 bucks.

It was a clam and shrimp pasta in a tomato and garlic sauce.

I have to share it.

1 tomato, diced
    6 cloves garlic, diced
    1 medium shallot, diced
    5 tablespoons butter
    2 pounds clams
    1.5 pounds shrimp
    1/2 cup white wine
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground red pepper

Dice the tomato, garlic and onion and toss into large skillet. Melt 4T butter and cook over high heat until the mixture thickens as the butter evaporates. Season with salt. Add wine and clams. Cook for 5-7 minutes over medium high heat. Add shrimp and 1/2 teaspoon of ground red pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add cream, remaining butter and red pepper. Cook over low-medium heat until it thickens a little.

Serve over angel hair. Drink $5 wine.

Certainly my best "tbf recipes." One of the best I've ever cooked.

I really impressed myself this time.

Much better than Tom Petty's carne asada, I bet ... :D

*Hi, Tom. Welcome back.*

4. spikechiquet

I'm game...will try it next time wifey wants a meal cooked by yours truly.

To stay on topic...had a couple mini pastys courtesy a bag of frozen ones picked up by Coldcat when he went back to the Motherland (the U.P.) during his 30-day drive around America.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

gyro = love

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Tried my new seafood pasta recipe again tonight and was terribly disappointed in myself. The tomato I used was way too big and juicy, and I used too many shrimp. These factors led to too much liquid, for which I had to compensate with more cream and longer cooking times.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Let's run down all the meals. You've got breakfast, brunch, lunch, dunch, linner, dinner, dupper, supper and seakfast.

8. spikechiquet

Fourthmeal.

Duh.

This post sponsored by Taco Bell.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So last night we had the six kinds of cheese my daughter smuggled back from France, three types of red wine (Cotes de Rhone, Beaujolais-Villages, Fleurie), bread, apples, and a green salad. Oh, I almost forgot, smuggled pate with rose as an hors d'oeuvre. Boy, I needed some accent marks in this post.

10. KG

KG Active Member

It's just me and the bambino tonight, so I'll probably be having one of the TGIF cook-in-the-bag meals. They're actually pretty good for $3 a piece.

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Hobbits would tell you about second breakfast, elevensies and the like [/imanerd]

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Tonight it shall be pork chop and grilled asparagus on the new BBQ. Tossed salad on the side. And watermelon for dessert.

Draft saved Draft deleted