1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's for supper tonight?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Oct 4, 2006.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

A few nights ago: Home-made fried catfish, baked trout, baked potato, green beans
    tonight: BBQ broiled chicken, pasta salad, boiled & fried potatos with garlic-fried green onions

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Tonight's fare consists of diced, cubed ham mixed in with scalloped potatoes.

One of my faves when mom was alive. Dad does a good job when he feels like cooking it.

3. spikechiquet

That sounds good, I make home-made mac and cheese with diced ham...makes a good side or a meal.

4. spikechiquet

Tried something I've ever tried before. Cuban-styled pork, rice and shrimp. Very good...but took a long time to prep and cook, but was pretty dang tasty.
    I knew I was stepping into a new boundary of flavor when I was mixing paprika, lime juice, rum and cumin together.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Went all "Chopped" on some leftover tortellini tonight.

Sauteed some diced shiitake mushrooms and added a mix of basil, fresh chives, green onion and oregano.

Next, I cooked up venison sausage (which we've had in the freezer for months) in a skillet.
    Step three was taking the bowl of leftover tortellini (cheese and italian sausage), heated it up in a skillet, and added in the venison sausage and mushrooms once it warmed up.

All the while, a pot of vodka sauce (store-bought and leftover from the other night) was heating on another burner. Threw in a bit of the same basil-chives-onion-oregano mixture early in that process. Once everything in the skillet was warm enough, I added the sauce and some Kraft five-cheese mix on top and let it all cook in for maybe 5-7 minutes.

By the time it was done, it sort of resembled beef-a-roni and was pretty damn good. It felt great to come up with the idea on my own and execute it, too. No recipe or anything, just pulling a bunch of stuff together and winging it.
    I'm kind of proud of myself :)

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mrs. t_b_f hit it out of the park tonight with a veggie lasagna.

She said she could probably cut out about 30 percent of the cheese and make it a little more healthy, if that tells you anything.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Is there a recipe for Jolt Cola-marinated pot roast?

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You should be proud. That sounds great, Batman!

9. three_bags_full

Grilled lamb chops rubbed with a garlic rosemary paste; grilled zuchinni and yellow squash; marinated summer salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers). Vino.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tomato, basil and mozzarella salad. Home baked sourdough. Leftover grilled steak, green bean and mushroom salad. Malbec.

11. three_bags_full

Love me some caprese salad.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tried some more leftover tortellini adventure the other night.
    Cut a small yellowfin tuna steak into strips and cooked it in a pan with a lemon-garlic-chives reduction sauce (which I didn't realize was a reduction sauce until I looked up what exactly that was). Added some extra lemon juice to the mix, too.
    Served with the leftover tortellini I repurposed a day or two before (and just microwaved this time), and some sauteed shittake mushrooms and fresh green beans. Added lemon juice to the beans and mushrooms, along with some salt and pepper.
    It was good, but quite lemony. It didn't go with the tortellini as well as I'd hoped. Would've been better with a salad with an Italian or oil dressing.

Draft saved Draft deleted