1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's for Dinner: Too damn hot to cook edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Aug 8, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd rather have liver and onions than this.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Slow cooker turkey and stuffing going now... left over Mac and Cheese for lunch... keeping it cool, fo real, word

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Stuffing is such a winter food, no?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Slow cookers are great.

Turkey. Yum.....

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I can't believe liver is being discussed. Sorry, JR, that stuff just doesn't fly. I have had quite a few times and that stuff is just nasty. I will also add that I have eaten lots and lots of "weird" shit in my life which includes cow's heart shish kabob (mmm, Peruvian food), pig's intestine, duck belly as a cold snack and cow's stomach as in the lining. Liver is just disgusting.

Now, back to warm weather food...
    My wife has this nice dish that works well. You cook spaghetti (since it is the closest most places can get to Chinese noodles). Then cool that off. Mix together peanut butter and sesame oil so that it is still a bit creamy and thick. This is then mixed with the cold spaghetti. If you have any, drop some sesame seeds on the top and eat it cold.

I don't know what it is called but it is a great dish on a warm day.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think I'm in the minority here about liver.

Beef heart is the perfect slow cooker food. It's also great cold as a sandwich.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I will try anything once and enjoy all kinds of food that can be considered strange.

But I don't do liver, either. If you could divorce the taste from the odor, maybe, but the taste is nothing that special to me and the smell... Ugh.

But if it makes you happy, JR, good on ya.

Pastor --

I've made that, or something similar, and if you want to make it completely no cook you can substitute Thai rice noodles -- the kind you would use to make pad thai. These only need to soak in hot tap water for 10 minutes or so. And you can get them at almost any grocery store now.

Great late-night after-bar meal.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And you go right ahead and enjoy it...

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It was at a recent Peruvian Festival in the area that I grabbed cow heart. It had a special marinated topping and was quite good.

Sounds good. I haven't had it like that, but it seems worth a shot.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ok, last post about liver.

First, calf's liver is the best--doesn't have the strong taste that beef liver or even baby beef liver has.

Second, soak it in milk for about half hour or so.

Third, cook it until it's pink. The reason most people hate liver is because it's cooked until it has the texture of shoe leather.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All this way and no shots about fava beans and a nice chianti... impressive

Draft saved Draft deleted